city driver or road driver?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by 232trucker, Jun 30, 2015.

1. 232trucker

232trucker Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Queens, New York
    hey guys, there are 2 offers I am considering and do not know which is best.. Ups freight has openings for full timecity driver and road driver where I live.. can some one tell be what is the difference between the 2, which is the better job, better pay, benefits, etc..also what are the hours like is there overtime.. been over the road for 2yrs going on 3 ready to be local.. any feed back will help me choose which to apply for.. thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    I don't know but if you are ready to be local, you should go local. You can always hit the road again should you get the itch. Me personally, I love to travel. I go local, then it turns into a job, and I lose the adventure aspect. Good luck!

4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    City driver means you will be doing P&D (pickup and delivery) work. Lots of multiple pickups and deliveries from and to distributors as well as house deliveries. Very stressful because your dispatcher will constantly push you to make pickups. Top rate is close to $30 an hour and basic 9-5 job. Also, make sure you have a good GPS because they give you no directions. Also, you will have to do dockwork as well. Road driver is a lot easier. It's basically line haul work going from terminal to terminal. You get paid by the mile, which I think top rate is .66 cents per mile, not quite sure. If you want the easy work, go for the road driver. If you want a start time around 9 am, basic 9-5 job, but more stressful, go for the city driver. Hope this helps.

5. common30

common30 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2013
    as a new driver go for the city.otherwise you will be struggling on the line haul board and leaving by the phone.

6. BrownTown

BrownTown Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2015
    P/D is primarily a day job working 9 a.m. to whenever but we do have shifts (or rather bids) that can start as early as 2 a.m.

Road driver bids start anywhere from 6-11 p.m depending on which terminal you're home domiciled and to which terminal you'll be departing to. In my case, it's a Seattle to Portland run each night. (314 miles round trip)
    I'm paid mileage when driving and hourly when hooking up/working dock. Typical is 2-3 hours of hourly pay night but you can supplement your hourly pay by working the dock if your return trailers are not ready when you arrive.
    The big draw for me is the health insurance for the family. It's very affordable for myself/wife/child and when I retire, I keep the insurance at the same price! No medicare/Medicaid concerns for me!

The downside is the waiting to scale up to full scale (currently 4 years) but if you can wait, the contract sets pay at $29 and change for hourly and .715/mile. Until you get a bid (guaranteed nightly run) you'll be an extra-board driver and there will be plenty of nights where there is no run. You will have the option of working the dock for a few hours if you want or there may be some local shuttle work - it all depends on your terminal needs.

My ytd isn't that great but I'm only 7 months away from full scale and the senior extra-board at my terminal so the next open bid available, I'll have a dedicated run each night. I'll make over $70K/year with pension/health benefits and shopping discounts galore :)

Attached Files:

bbq247365 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.