City Driver vs Tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Zoltan1a, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    20230101_084346.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I switched from dry van to HazMat tanker and with the exception of 2 regular routes we ran, I loved every minute of tanker. The customers treat you like they are glad you showed up, instead of like reefer where the only reason they don't shoot you when you show up is they don't want to go to jail. Tanker often pays more per load so you don't have to work 69.99 hours per week to make decent money.

4. tscottme

Local fuel delivery is pretty good, but many jobs are 12 hour per day and your days off are not on the weekend. You may have to start nights and only move to work days if some old-timers quits or dies.

5. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    That's the part I am having a hard time with. City work is normal living for sure. I am 8-6 and home all weekends and holidays, it is just not challenging.

6. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    @Zoltan1a
    The company I run for hauls gas, chemical, and dry bulk.
    I started on gas, then got trained on chemical, and then dry bulk.
    I spent 4 months on nights before I got my day shift.
    It sucks, but the suck don't last forever.
    Larger companies have more turnover volume, but the best have very little... Meaning you'll have a longer wait to get on days.
    One buddy left my company and went to mapco... Took him 14 months to get days.
    Mapco being the top money in our market.
    My company isn't the best paid, but we've definitely got the best TM there is.
    He looks out for us drivers.
    He takes excellent care of us and bends over backwards to help us however he can.
    Cool thing about gas...
    It's easy to pull 6 figures and not kill yourself doing it.
    I'm happy to discuss things with you any time, and answer questions that haven't been answered here.
    Pm me if you like, and we can talk it out.

7. tscottme

Having been in my version of your situation, my advice is that nothing is as easy or as hard as simply changing your attitude about your current work. If you can change your attitude at your current job you have the money you are currently making, you already have your comfortable life, it doesn't disrupt anyone. If you change jobs you have lots of disruption for you and the family and hopefully more of the changes are improvements than downgrades. Maybe finding a new hobby and staying put will give you a challenge and keep your comfortable life?

8. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    to add to and summarize some good answers that were already mentioned , I would say that my primary focus would be on private fleets rather than the type of trailer you’re pulling.

Generally speaking, I’d rather be a warehouse van driver than a 3rd party tanker yanker.

And I’d rather be pulling tanks for a chemical company or a gas station chain with a private fleet , rather than 3rd party p&d. Also, I kind of liked the liquid sloshing in a smooth bore. I always thought of it as my angry t-Rex in the back. You know, like in a “whoa , sorry ‘bout that darlin”, sort of way

Personally, I think that delivering the company’s own products is a better situation. There are exceptions, but I think that overall, a private fleet job is much better. The pay and the systems of doing things are typically much better. If they have their own garage, even better.

look for good hourly pay and decent equipment. Then look for time-and-a-half pay. Then benefits. Medical insurance, 401k and/or pension, holiday pay, vacation and other paid time off - like sick days or personal days.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Your out in the weather all day long think 3-4 loads a day…..

10. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Haha. I get it. But, cruise control set and simply strolling down the highway is me minding my own business. That stuff is naturally angry.

11. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    So is a company like pilot thomas 3rd party?

Careers | Open Positions | Pilot Thomas Logistics

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.