Class 1 Driver training funding in BC?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by csillakormendi, Aug 27, 2014.

1. csillakormendi

csillakormendi Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    Hello everybody at Truckers Report!

I'm interested in starting my career as a Class 1 driver, but i'm having a hard time finding the funding for this.
    I live in Kelowna, BC and have already contacted the Okanagan College, but I got a very nasty response to my request. The woman I spoke to was appalled that as a 22 year old female I wanted to be a trucker, and grilled me on why I even wanted to do this. Very negative response on her part. In addition to that I was told because I am in a supervisory position at my job, I have the "skills" to work and do not qualify for their program through the BC Labour Market. I only work part-time, so getting the $7,000 needed for the course isn't going to happen.
    Has anybody here successfully found a program/school that funded their Class 1 licence? I feel backed into a corner and getting a little discouraged in regards to getting my dream career started.

If anybody has any information for me or suggestions on where I should go from here, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    First thing you need to get started in this racket is to schedule a surgery to have your brain removed, things will slowly fall into place after that .

4. Grimm 1

Grimm 1 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    As Belowspeedlimit has stated......it makes no bloody sense for anyone who can put a sentence together to consider this industry.

Trucking has become a good job for people from third world countries that cannot read and write.......which is why companies have gone abroad looking for drivers.

Don't do it......you'll regret it.

Canucklehead and upnorthwpg Thank this.
  5. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    If your willing to relocate try fracing companies in Alberta, they might train you in house. Or maybe a personal loan. Not sure if you can get a student loan...

truckings not as bad as these guys say, just depends where you work. Highway work pay is pretty low and especially being in kelowna the rates aren't that great. Alberta and northern bc in the oilpatch is much better. I'm 23, bought a place, truck, quad being a trucker. Most of my friends are graduating post secondary with huge student loans making 15 bucks an hour.

thelongwalker Thanks this.
  6. belowspeedlimit

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Don't try glamorize it. I would not call it a career by any means. You wanna spend money on a class 1 take that money and get a trade then come out to the oil patch. There is money to be made right away where as in trucking you have get experience before you make the real money . Heed the warning young lady.

7. nate980

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    I do agree on getting a trade. Or Atleast something specialized like a crane operator. Trucking your right isn't that glamourus but if you have the patience and the time you can make some decent coin and enjoy what you do.

8. Grimm 1

Grimm 1 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    The biggest problem with trucking is that as a driver your almost always employed by a subcontractor. If the company you work for loses a contract, it means less work to go around for drivers or pay cuts.

The oilfield pays well but over time I believe we'll begin to see rate cuts. With the general state of trucking as a whole, it's inevtable.

Nate.......we were all young once. I hope you still feel the same about driving 10years from now or when you have a family.
    Most people leave driving within the first 10years of being licensed.

There is nothing glamorous about trucking. If you have the ability to read and write...... get a trade......trucking is a dead end job these days.

9. nate980

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    I hope I do too lol

10. belowspeedlimit

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    I am not trying to be a negative prick but I see no future for young people trying to get into the truck driving business. It has served me well but if I could do it over again.... In my current job it got my foot in the door but it's my heavy equipment experience that has gotten me to my current wage, the drivers are paid considerably less. If you are a young person get a red seal trade it'll serve you much better.&nbsp;<br>

11. Rudester

Rudester Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Don't spend the 7000 on the full meal deal course. I got mine in Kelowna on the basic 3000 class one training. I was thinking about it then and I am sure glad that I didn't. They give you a few hours driving a few different rigs like buses, dump trucks etc. In the end, it will all add up to about nothing as you'll still be the new guy with the new DL looking for a door to open. So you got an extra 4 hours driving a dump truck or a bus...... Understand what I mean??

Do some more research about what you may be able to do in conjunction with driving and set your sights on that. If it is just highway driving that you want, from what I can see, there is no money in it and the system is set up to take advantage of drivers. There seems to be some money in the oilfield, but I know the conditions suck having worked in the patch before. Nothing is on schedule or as planned except that the job gets done and it ain't over until it is done. And then the next one happens when it happens. You are the last to know.

I am hauling logs out of the bush in N. Alberta now. I got lucky and got an opportunity right out of the door. There are a couple of women driving out here too. It can be done, but I'd really look carefully at your choices if you have other options.

Funding?? Good luck. Get on as a swamper with a company that will put you forward to driving once you know the job.

Hoe this helps a little.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.