Clean Level 2 with Ticket - advice needed

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TNKID222, Apr 16, 2019.

1. TNKID222

TNKID222 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I'm a driver for a fleet owner leased to another company. I got pulled over after passing through the scales in MS. I was given a level 2 on the ramp. At the end, he said he assumed I didn't know I had a recap coming off the trailer. I confirmed I didn't. I had been driving about 250 miles since my last walk around. He said he did me a favor and handed me a ticket for a blown tire and a clean inspection then told me to go on and have it fixed down the road. Neither the truck owner or the company, which owns the trailer, will pay it ($253). Should I pay it and be thankful or fight it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd ignore it. Let the company fix it when you get back. If you're really nervous about it and it's an outside tire, just rotate it to the inside and let the company deal with it when you return.

4. TNKID222

TNKID222 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I had the tire replaced within 2 hours. Its the ticket and fine I'm concerned about.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Moose1958 can probably give you a better answer then.

6. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Pay it: it’s not worth the trouble you will get in if you don’t.. then, reconsider your employment situation.. but, any ticket a driver usually gets is his...,.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Yessir, he did you a favor. A bad tire will get you more CSA points than being at fault at a fatal accident.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's not a moving violation. Pay it and keep your license from getting suspended.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    A couple of things driver. You may not like what I have to say, and I mean no offense, but I want you to have good info.

1) the DOT officer is exactly right. He did you a favor. Here is why. If that tread would have come off and went thru a windshield and killed someone you would be in prison.

2) this is the part you may not like...I am betting that tread was like that before you took the trailer and it may have gotten overlooked when doing a pre-trip. Recaps don't damage within 250 miles unless you ran over something. It is usually gradual wear and tear. Maybe the tires just got kicked and you went on down the road.

3) point 2 is why the ticket is on you and you need to pay it. You can get an attorney and fight it, but that might cost you more in the long run.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I am sorry for the late reply. I just got home from the VA hospital ER. I had a bad seizure.
    I sigh as I read this. I would say sounds like MS, but to be honest most DOT cops there would have given you that ticket AND the dirty inspection report and thought nothing more about it. So I guess the cop did do you a partial favor.

Because CSA/PSP points are not given through regular state citations your good in that regard no matter what.

I can't advise you on fighting or not fighting that ticket. I don't think it is considered a moving violation so it should not affect your driving record. All I can do is remind you fighting a ticket like this can be expensive and cost you more than the ticket will be, PLUS the likelihood you will lose is great! By cost, I mean time off, a hotel room and the cost of travel back to that court. Sometimes I think people go into automatic "fight it" mode not remembering these costs. Also, you might be looking at 2 trips. Most courts only do pleas on that court day listed and schedule the trials later. <<<In some places I honestly believe this is done to discourage fighting a ticket.

Now to that tire. Sometimes a piece of trash or running over a curb can start a cap separation. Sometimes a "cold cap" is not cured long enough by the recap shop and will come off after a few hundred miles. However, these are exceptions. Did you really look at those trailer tires closely? During my career, I came across a trailer with tires either worn out or the caps were clean off many times. Sometimes I saw signs of separation and reported it. In this day of CSA a driver should never put a rig on the road with tires that are defective.

I won't 2nd guess another drivers inspection. However, I have observed hundreds of drivers slide under a trailer loaded or not get out to raise up the landing gear, hook up the gladhands and pigtail and walk back to the tractor and take off. Looking at caps takes a few minutes. Most drivers only look at thread depth nothing else.

Because of an incident that happened to me in Ohio, I am very sensitive to anything flying off ANY vehicle. I was driving on I 70 and during a road rage incident, a glass bottle was tossed at the truck ahead of me. I caught a glass shard that almost blinded me. I was out of work for a long time. I still to this day have pain in that eye from time to time.

Good luck with that ticket. Take the time in the future to give tires a much closer inspection.

11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.