Climbing in and out of trailers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kugel, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    All the chem trailers I have pulled have ladders and catwalks lots easier than a van. On the cement trailers theres no catwalk just a round trailer and manholes right smack dab in the way, there the ones I found creepy.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Just getting it done; best way you can, with what you have to work with..
    Same trucking since the 50's. Some thing's don't change much.

4. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    At 5'8"and 300lbs with a bad knee at 61 years old I can get up there but I worry about getting hurt.
    First I close one door and use it for a handle but yesterday I was in Oklahoma and had to sweep one out, it must have been 120 in there. So I found a collapseable ladder for 60 bucks on Amazon

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    There you go, safe is always best. I carry my 48" step ladder, had a guy laughing thought it was hysterical, then he slipped being macho and now hes off on workmans comp injured a disk in his lower back. Go with what you feel is safest.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    My 60 year old knees and back warned me a long time ago that if I continued climbing in and jumping out of trailers, they would make life miserable for me. Bought a 4 ft folding ladder and keep it in the back of the trailer. Works like a charm. Maybe someday I'll get one of those pull out ladders installed on the back of my trailer.

Don't be one of those fat old farts that tries to get other drivers to climb in their trailer to remove their load locks for them. Had one of those guys a few weeks ago at a receiver. He told me "we drivers need to look out for one another", and I said "we need to look out for ourselves first", and I said I couldn't help him. I would have let him use my ladder, but my trailer was still sealed. He managed to find another sucker.

7. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So bitter, might be ready for home time there bud.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i guess you don't read the signature lines..been retired since last year, after 48 years.....there bud.

9. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ok instead of home time you could enjoy a nice midday nap or a cool beverage bud

Sirscrapntruckalot and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    I pull reefer. I shut and latch the left door. Then partially shut the right door. then step up Onto the bumper with my fingers in the drain channel for balance reasons.. then I put my left foot sideways on the ledge around the lights and the width of the trailer. It’s only about a 2” ledge so that’s the dangerous part. I use the hinge on the partially closed door as a hand hold. Some of our newer trailers have a grab bar on the left door to help. I swing the right leg up and in the trailer and stand up. Takes a little practice but is pretty easy, even for a fat dude like me.
    After 30 years of carpentry, my knees do not like the kneeling into the trailer method.
    Our newest trailers have a pull out/slide out stepS on the right side to help climbing in.

11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.