Close Call For Oklahoma State Trooper Due To Loose Lugs

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    So what this tell us is........

He hasn't done a pretrip in the last few days???
    I dont think I would have told the trooper that. I hope he didnt call the safety dept & complain to him about it.

ducnut, REO6205 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Yeah, i saw that. Just doesn't add up. Sounds like OK DOT is like my local Freightliner dealer. Just baffle with BS

4. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    A spindle, with no brakes, drum, s cam, or slack adjuster? Just magically all fell out? I would say this was taken apart, and left apart. Got inspected and ole DOT thought it would make a good post with many likes if thet said it hit them.

What exactly almost hit them? I'd love to see dash cam footage. Otherwise, i call BS

ducnut, RockinChair and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Tell that to the trooper who almost got hit. The lugs that came off probably hit the trooper’s vehicle. Lug nuts are like rocks,they can crack a windshield or do other damage!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    20170710_101540.jpg

This one I'd had for three days. Trainee started his enroute while I was finishing something else. I did my enroute as he was updating the workflow. I got back in the cab and said "did you notice anything wrong?", then we took another walk.

20180827_104239.jpg

This one was a drop trailer that someone had called in for a tire. We picked it up as our first trailer and I pointed out the sticker on the tire and how it had just been changed - trainee even tried hand twisting the lug nuts. We made it 20 miles down the road.

Based on the fact there is a bungie cord doing something, I assume driver incompetence, but sometimes stuff happenes.

7. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    The lugs? You mean the broken wheel studs? The nuts? If a trooper tried to tell me what they are saying happened, i'd question it.

Their post says"the whole brake assembly" almost hit their vehicle. Absolutely no way possible the drum, shoes, s cam and slack adjuster came off as an assembly.

BS. If were in the Book of Faces, I'd call BS right there too

ducnut, RockinChair and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yep. What are the odds that both clevis pins and the snap ring holding the slack adjuster to the cam fell out. Plus where'd the cam go? It can't walk out of the drum. If it walked in, it'd hit the hub before it could actually fall out on the ground.

There's definitely far more BS in the story than truth.

ducnut and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  9. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I’m referring to the lug nuts. Look at the photos-at least 4 of the lug nuts remaining are ready to come right off(more than likely they weren’t torqued to spec). Some of the ones remaining look misaligned with the studs. Possibly stripped or cross threaded.
    Somebody probably did a hatchet job with the “repairs”!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  10. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Oklahoma used to be MEXICO along with Tx, La., New Mexico, Az, Ca., NV (?), CO (?). Historical Hilarity considering North America (Turtle Island To Native Americans) was founded by a DRUNKEN Lost sailor thinking he had found India, hence Native tribes became Indians.
    MANY Peoples were on North American soil WAAAYYY before white man arrived.
    The SERPENT MOUND in Ohio is Proof.

The VIKINGS discovered North America in the 11th Century yet they were given ZERO credit. Typical Selective History, just like the 19th Century.
    HISTORICAL RECORDS CORROBORATE.
    HAPPY DISCOVERIES!!

ducnut Thanks this.
  11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    I went into shop and watched from a slight distance or up close, depending upon Shop.
    Because there are sooooo many dumb drivers that believe shops NEVER make mistakes, like, for example, leaving a spring out of a fuel filter on a Freightshaker, so I learned to WATCH such replacement wherever such activity occurred.
    No Unauthorized Persons In Shop. When One is a CUSTOMER, no "authorization" needed. Customers have THE RIGHT to Inspect the Performance of Mechanics, except probably in Transmission and/or Engine Rebuild/Replacement.

Lights Out Somewhere.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.