Clunk from pulling down steering wheel

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RepoweredRookie, Feb 22, 2024.

1. RepoweredRookie

RepoweredRookie Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Here we go again. 1999 Freightliner Century 12.7 detroit with 1.5M miles. I grab the steering wheel when climbing in and out of the truck, and now it makes a “clunk” sound when pulling down on steering wheel. Research seems to suggest it is a bad steering shaft, but could also be u-joints. What have you guys experienced? Thank you for any info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Steering shafts are easy to replace. They do wear out. The U joints are part of the shaft. Without looking I don’t think they can be replaced separately. Steering assembly is not easy. Not hard, just annoying. This was on a 98 FLD. Yours shouldn’t be too much different.

exhausted379 and RepoweredRookie Thank this.
  4. RepoweredRookie

Apr 16, 2019
    I appreciate the reply Joey. I’ve been looking at it. When steering wheel is pushed up/down in certain parts of rotation the steering wheel clicks/clunks. I don’t see any gaps, damage or anything. It’s just annoying going over bumps. Do you think it would be unsafe driving like it is, until I can definitely see damage? I think it’s just a loose shaft from climbing up/down the steps.

5. RepoweredRookie

Apr 16, 2019
    Just looked at another guy’s thread. On Freightliner Century, the u-joints are non-replaceable and come as part of the shaft. Shaft (upper) is $650. Guy in other thread ssid Freightliner wanted $1200 for upper and lower.

6. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I ordered mine offline. I get decent pricing at Freightliner but some things are just ridiculously overpriced. See if you can get part numbers and buy elsewhere.

7. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    My entire steering column is loose. I got one from a junkyard because my other one was really bad. Now this one has become looser. I think it needs tightened somewhere that I haven’t tried.

RepoweredRookie and exhausted379 Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Oh, I wouldn't mess with anything steering, pretty important. Pay whatever, get the new shaft, before YOU get the shaft. Clunking or clicking is a U joint or spline going south and you may not see it. Years ago you could replace just the u joints, but seems an easy fix for something that could be a disaster.

RepoweredRookie Thanks this.
  9. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    I'm not trying to be a wiseguy by any means because there's enough of that on this forum the way it is. But you might want to find something else besides your steering wheel to pull yourself up in the cab. I'm pretty sure you can put grab handles on. Just my two cents.

RepoweredRookie, Long FLD and 062 Thank this.
  10. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The steering shaft in the cab has u-joints. Most people don't service them (grease them) including myself. They do go bad, also the shaft wears out as well. You have to take the lower dash apart, and check for play.

11. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Lubricating the intermediate steering shaft with white lithium grease has helped me out in the past with “light” clunks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.