Clutch brake? Clutch?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dallison, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Th
    Thats the idea. You can read Eatons literature on it. The stock brake disc is preferred by them, because it has a slip action built in. That’s how I read it anyways. One piece and 2 pc. Come in 3 different sizes I believe. Standard and 2 different oversize (thicker) discs. Mid America Clutch has a good video explaining initial adjustment, and when an oversized brake is needed.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    black_dog106 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Sorry to hijack the thread.

My mechanic just called to say that as the truck has a cummins in it, they need to get cummins out to do the rear main seal and/or rear structure seal. As they don't have the correct equipment. This is a dealership (in fact an international dealership)

I found this strange, but they said it was standard, I am in Sydney Australia.

From what I can gather I reckon I am looking at about $6-$7k AUD to do clutch, clutch brake, flywheel resurface and rear main seal.

Does this sound correct?

Rideandrepair and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Price sounds close. Why Cummins called in? My guess is they dont have the tooling? This is a straight forward nuts and bolts job with the procedures. Only the rear main tools are needed.

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Price for all comming to 4.25 to 5 k usd, if theyre pulling engine it sounds fair, my very cheap mechanic did clutch, rear main, bellhousing, clutch brake for about 3k (he basically just got the clutch that would work as fast as it could get there, we could have price shopped that and saved $800, but time was more important at the time) i DO need the rear structure seal done, and id have authorized it if he had asked me, but i dont think on my truck that he would have had to pull engine, should be accessible when trans is out from bottom side, might be more annoying, but should be doable. (Have older cat though, so ymmv)

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There's more than a few shops that fear the isx rear main. I guess you need the exact tool to press it in place correctly, and if it's not, it's a do over.

7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
  8. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Yeah, he said as all cummins warranty work is done by cummins themselves, they don't have the tools to do the job.

Is what it is now, the clutch was smoking when I left them the truck, so I would need to tow it somewhere else so spending the money for cummins to come out is probably the same.

Rideandrepair and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    That one in the picture had about 700K on it. ISX. They did the whole chinggasa for $3500 U.S.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Here in the US if your a dealer of the product you cover the warranty. No reason an IH shop shouldnt be able to handle this repair. If you sell it, you are considered a dealer. So do they call in a distributor for a sensor change? Someone doesnt know what their doing and is not trained or experienced enough to work on the engine.

The engine does not require removal to reseal the rear structure. We do pull them for both front and rear structure leaking. Faster with the engine out.

11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Did the bell housing to engine gasket, and motor mounts while Casper was apart. That was like another $1K.

Rideandrepair and Goodysnap Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.