Clutch knee

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MericanMade, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Surprised at all the double clutching members on here. Dam

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DeanOfMac

DeanOfMac Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Macomb, IL
    I (literally) feel your pain. I was an active duty Marine. Just looking at that Mack Vision 10 speed makes my knees hurt while I'm in CDL school. Some ICY Hot helped as did elevating.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Actually, the "hydraulic clutch" you refer to, has nothing to do with the stiffness of the clutch. The hydraulic part does the same thing as conventional linkage, just brake fluid pushes the clutch arm. The stiffness comes from the pressure plate, and newer trucks have an improved pressure plate, called "the easy clutch". Older trucks didn't have that, and I drove a Mack where at a stop, you had to have both feet on the clutch.:eek:

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Back when i was an equipment operator we used to run some old massey ferguson tractors that was built back in the early 70s. There was one tractor that still ran good but no power steering , hydraulics always was leaking, and the clutch was stiffer than a midget in a ##### house.i uses to drive it standing up, that was the only way to get it to go into gear. There was no fuel pedal on it either. Just clutch it into gear and let off and there she goes. Once u got going then u found out that the breaks didnt work on it LOL man that thing was a death trap. after all day of running that tractor u would get off and have jelly legs . couldnt barely walk . i remeber the first time i ran it , i got off for lunchbreak and fell on the ground my leg muscles had clocked out for the day lol gave all the crew a good laugh

201 Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Some people double clutch. Some people float the gears.
    Smart people know how to do both and they know when each method is called for.

7. Chubby Fly

Nov 25, 2019
    Huh

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    What about my post didn't you understand?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    It may be just as well that I get that automatic restriction, because practically every company I’m checking into are going to automatics.

I’m having a difficult time downshifting. Decade’s old habit of pushing the clutch IN when I’m trying to find the right gear. I’ve only driven that Freightliner with the 10-speed five times, and if I’m still getting flustered Monday, and my left leg does what the old muscle-memory tells it to do, I’m going to test in the automatic.

Two-thirds of the trip will be smooth as butter, but then coming off the interstate onto a 20 mph exit loop, I’ll miss the double-down, left leg goes stupid, I get flustered and start grinding, all the while getting slower and slower to the point that I’m impending traffic.

Brake to 1000 rpm, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, position shifter for 9th, rev to 1500 rpm, clutch in, shift to 9th, ease clutch out. Brake to 800 rpm, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, find the wall, position shifter in front of 7th, rev to 1500, shift into gear, ease clutch out, selector down, brake to 800, clutch in, neutral, clutch out, find the other wall, etc, etc, etc.

If you get lost, look at your speed, 15 mph—5th, 20–6th, 25-7th, 35-8th, etc.

Downshift gear recovery, clutch out, rev to 1500, go into gear, ease out clutch.

I know the steps, but darn it happens fast. I hate limiting myself, but Monday is decision day.

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I had surgery on my left knee, although not from shifting, I took too big a step off a flatbed. I still double clutch, but my clutch linkage is good except for the squeak under the dash.

11. Chubby Fly

Nov 25, 2019
    what post

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.