Clutch or Transmission toast?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Little Gear Grinder, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Little Gear Grinder

Little Gear Grinder Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    NB Canada
    So I'm getting ready to buy a truck from the boss that i drove for a couple years
    and wondering if the clutch that was installed a year and a half ago was a bad
    one or if something up with the transmission it self.

Here's the story they installed a clutch in the truck a year and a half ago and right
    from day one i said its not right, because you put your foot on the clutch all the way
    to the clutch brake and the trans would stop and allow you to put the truck in gear
    like it should. As along as your foot was still on the clutch brake you could freely
    move the stick to any gear. Now when you lifted off the clutch brake say an inch so
    the the clutch is still engaged and trans will spin a bit locking the truck in gear and
    having to force it out or step on the clutch brake again. If you have the truck in neutral
    and step on the clutch brake and let out a bit and move the gearshift enough to rub the
    gears you feel it spinning slowly and by the time you let out the clutch 3/4 of the way
    the trans is spinning as fast as it was before you stopped it with the clutch brake. Its
    the same when you coming to a stop at a set of lights. I'll come to a complete stop
    in 4th with foot on the a clutch and want to go to first to start off, and the trans has
    locked it self in gear has to be forced out, use the clutch brake to stop and then put
    it in first gear.

So I told the dealer about the issue for months and it was adjusted at least 10+ times
    and they kept saying everything was in spec and its supposed to do that which i know
    is BS so I just gave up, cause our maintenance guy wont fix what the shop says isn't
    broken. Its manageable just irritating.

So now that I'm buying the truck and can make my own decisions on repairs and use the
    shops that i want. I'm relooking at this problem and was hoping you guys could point me
    in the right direction as to whats going on oh I don't know if it matters its a 13sp 1850tq
    trans.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jameslawton

jameslawton Light Load Member

May 1, 2013
    Tulsa OK
    My guess would be the input shaft should have been replaced with the clutch the shaft can get worn and make it stick to the clutch disk

swaan Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Assuming the clutch is adjusted properly, it could be worn input shaft, or the intermediate plate hanging up. These sort of issues generally cause intermittent conditions including times where the clutch will not disengage at all. If engagement and disengagement is very consistent then I would say there is bent disc in there that is grabbing still when the pedal is pushed in a normal amount. It may be still grabbing a bit until the clutch brakes actually over powers the disc and stops the trans from turning. Other than a possible worn input shaft, I see no defect with the trans itself. This is more of a clutch issue. It certainly isn't right. As for them not wanting to fix it, that is just someone who doesn't want to replace a clutch. I know they suck to do, especial a young clutch, but I think in your case it is needed. If you get it replaced, make sure they remove and machine the flywheel and install a new pilot bearing, always, always, always!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.