Clutch R&R questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by God prefers Diesels, Dec 3, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sounds like the release bearing was making noise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Also, when you install a new input shaft, should there be any side to side play? And should you be able to move it in and out at all? I watched the Eaton video, and they had a spacer in between the bearing and shaft. But mine didn't have one. Instead, it has a ring around the outside of the bearing. So I'm guessing that input shaft just floats? I've put new input shafts in trannys before, but they were all in automatics, so I don't have any comparison.

650cat425 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    When I first bought the truck, that's immediately what I thought. But then as I was reading about it, it seemed like if the throwout bearing was bad, it would grind all the time, and stop grinding when you push in the clutch. Like basically the opposite of a pickup truck clutch, you know what I mean? Is that true? That's why I wrote it off as being fine. But if that's the case, then this new clutch will fix my problem.

5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There's usually a little bit of slop. I'd say likely normal.

If you punch in your transmission info here, you should be able to get a parts breakdown with pictures and see what parts are supposed to be in there
    Eaton Inforanger

There's a lot of variation between Eaton transmissions. I caught a TON of flack on here because my 15 speed has a lip seal on the input shaft. Nobody here believed me until I posted pictures and a parts breakdown.

6. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Nice. That's exactly how mine was. Thanks for that link.

650cat425 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Eaton's pretty good with putting their manuals online.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yeah, the new input shaft kit doesn’t have the spacer. They say discard the old one if any. Not needed.And it fits sloppy. Moves in and out. Even wiggles up and down a little. Had me wondering also. But that’s normal.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I had a hard time with the harbor freight jack. The adjustment knob came off. Had to put a solid bolt in its place, use a ratchet and socket to adjust the tilt. I also made a plate, and used angle iron, to fit the trans. Also used washer/ spacers to take the wiggle out of it. And double straps. Had to use some 2x6 also, to get the angle right. It’s a pretty flimsy jack. Outright dangerous. Hard to adjust the tilt with weight on it.

10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    From my transmission adventure

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Yuk

650cat425 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.