clutch right at the top

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by GOTSEASON8SUCKED, Jun 23, 2019.

1. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

GOTSEASON8SUCKED Bobtail Member

May 27, 2019
    All right so y'all are knowledgeable and basically my go to knowledge base when I think my mechanics are going to tell me ########. Picture it is the clutch for an Eaton Fuller 10 speed, gears hold fine and there isn't a grinding noise, but all I have to do is depress the clutch pedal by about 3 inches and it comes totally out of gear... I had to slipride the clutch use a lot for the Minor Adjustments around these tanks so I understand the clutch feeling a little worn.. but it basically being right at the top I'm not sure about . I never learned or had anyone to show me exactly what the spacing ought to look like, what are your guys opinions? Have to go through a wash station about 5 times a night that will shoot water straight up into that too by the way, could use y'all's input on whether or not the guard should be put back on

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Bearing to clutch brake 1/2" by adjusting internal @ clutch. 1/8" fork to bearing gap by adjusting linkage. Done

4. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

May 27, 2019
    i sense i'll be youtube viewing and googling rest of the night.. because that technical and reasonable response got me thinking: I don't actually know what any of these individual parts LOOK like. I know what they do just not what they look like. <---#######.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Some trucks require periodic adjustment of the clutch brake and what not.

Some mechanics can make it last. Others not so much.

There could be other factors that cause it to not hold also. I've never looked inside there yet.

GOTSEASON8SUCKED Thanks this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Hopefully it’s adjustable.
    If it’s an Eaton solo self adjusting clutch it could be nearing the end of its useful life.
    Also if it’s a solo clutch there is an indicator on the pressure plate you can view thru the bell housing access hole to see how much life you have left.

7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Driver skill= clutch life and adjustment frequentness.

Dino soar, snowman_w900 and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    And I have more then enough driver skill.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There's wear marks / indicator on the clutch. Most of them. Get someone to bump it, or you do it and keep crawling under until you can see it.

That save you a lot of time, knowing if there's any left.

10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Only solo and automated clutches have the wear indicator. If you crawl under and see about half life left dont get too excited, you are likely on barrowed time. They almost never make it all the way to E.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

May 27, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.