Coastie Going O/O at last

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by coastie, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    How hard could it be to pull a hopper? Don't you just crank the chutes open and closed, occasionally grab the broom, maybe a shovel?:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    quiting all those jobs doesnt make your bad decisions good. it is in fact why no good company will even look at you.

4. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Heheheh Now I know you're kidding! :-D I unloaded cotton seed yesterday with a hay fork and a broom. Then to reload oats I was inside the hopper for 30 minutes swinging around on a rope sweeping it off the bolts. That unloading took all of about 2 hours up on top and inside the trailer feeding the stuff through. I don't like cotton seed, but when it's available at a decent rate, off I go.

I wish the broom was occasional, but it's basically every load (unless I need a washout). If they needed the same product run to and from, everyone would've kept their stuff in the first place and there would be nothing to haul.

And you forgot swinging a rubber mallet at the knock rails, that will wear anyone out in about 10 minutes. I try to avoid it whenever I can, but yesterday was no joke. After beating the daylights out of the knock rails with the door wide open - it stopped feeding - only to find a 6 foot hole above the door with the rest of the seed bridged in the trailer. At one point I lowered my feet down into it and started running in place to get it started again - great workout!

5. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Yes I was actually joking but didn't know there was that much work involved as you are saying.

I thought about hoppers, but after reading that, I'll stick with my covered wagon!

HwyPilot Thanks this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I like my lumpers! I like my lumpers! I like my lumpers! :biggrin_25514:

HwyPilot Thanks this.
  7. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Where I need to be.
    When you say "local" do you mean Atlanta.......or Elberton......or Augusta......or Greenville??? I have been to Elberton. Lot's there...lot's of closed businesses! Last time I was in Elberton, was to deliver to a company on it's last legs.

Maybe your thinking of having one of them "folks" there drive the truck and haul Monument stones?? :biggrin_25523: Unless you have a really really decent plan for back hauls......:biggrin_25513:............ don't do it! Whoever you put on your truck from that area, will get the word out that you can't pay enough for food stamps..........and you will be toast!

I think you need to resize your thinking cap, if you believe you will clear $5,000 a month with an outside driver on your truck! You will be lucky if your not dipping into your Coast Gaurd retirement to pay truck bills!

IF you have a decent driving record.....take your Coast Gaurd experience and your older truck and talk with either Old Dominion at their Atlanta hub....OR UPS FREIGHT, at their Atlanta hub ......... and lease your truck into them. Drive it yourself, pull their 48 foot vans....and move the freight they give you without problems.

Do that long enough to earn their respect and gain some experience......then buy a newer truck and hire a married couple to drive it..........while staying in your solo truck.......payoff the team truck...buy yourself a new truck and pay it off....then buy a third truck and put a married team on it. Give yourself 5 years...then hire a driver for your truck and step back.

OR......go with another "Fly-by-night" operation and take your chances. :biggrin_2558:

8. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

My comment on MM comment tough he not worth my time with his comments like he never made a bad judgment all. So Yes Medicine man I said it, I am sure you made bad decision too.

Well it was said it getting to much for me? Yes it is. I am off the road for sure. I had to spend another night in the Emergency room this past Saturday. My Days over the road is over. My legs not going to take it anymore. The Evil word of Amputation was mentioned to me in the Emergency room in Illinois, And Saturday here at my local hospital, I was in to much pain. I've had numerous of Kidney stones but none hurt as I was with my knees then.

With my plans from the get go of becoming an O/O was cover this situation. The sad part I was not fully ready for it. But I will be able to recover with some good sound decision which I feel I have made. By going with the local company small but growing. I will be better off. I'll make enough to pay for the truck and live off of. Least better than before I came back out on the road in 2007. Yes I had set backs And I pulled through them before, and I will again. So I do not care what MM says, I'm not going to let him or anyone else shut me down. I may not be able to drive myself, But I am not quitting the Industry. So MM you can take that to the BANK....

What will I be doing? What I did from 2001 till I came back out, sell on Ebay and maybe at the flea markets. Did not make a living but had fun at it, and it paid for 3 trips over to the Philippines.... No you will not be seeing my 2002 Pete on it unless I am able buy a truck that get's better fuel mileage.

So guys be careful out there, every coming through Georgia give me hear that Air horn toot. I'll come on and give updates how my truck going with the new company.

bullhaulerswife and HwyPilot Thank this.
  9. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Yes The truck will be hauling Granite tombstones. out of Elberton. One of the main companies is losing it self but other are gaining what they are losing. ATS has pulled out most of there trucks after P.O. most of the Granite Sheds with Granite they had lost yet it was not lost. Sat on their dock for 3 years. There nothing else here really Chicken Plant Bubba burgers and they have their own trucks. everything else is Granite.

A load of Granite pays really well in reality. A load can pay around 7000.00 to the truck. The Company I am leasing onto showed me not just tell me but SHOWED me the records of his trucks was doing. A pickup dually with a goose neck, was doing 5K a month A Freightshaker with a 16 foot Flatbed doing 5000. That after paying expenses and driver. And he Pays for the drivers meals also..... I did work for him when I first came back out. With the Pete it will be able to haul more weight than any of the other trucks he showed me. With the trailer he buying he will not be able to put 40K on but will be able to put 35K 30Ft US ARMY trailers And if the driver able to offload fast he could get back and do a turn around and make twice as much. Much depends on how many drops he has. 1999 and first part of 2000 I worked for a Granite Shed driving their truck. Leave out on Monday night and back home Thursday or Friday. anywhere from 15 to 19 drops pulling a 45 ft trailer. Here it ill be less than 10 stops.

The Clearing 5000.00 includes deadheading home. Granite does not pay by the mile It pays by the weight. I have thought it out. I have seen it in writing. I have seen it done. I have done it. The Granite shed I worked for shipped on their own trucks did not charge the customer for shipping. They made enough on the rock to pay it. They was leasing 2 trucks when I was working for them, now they OWN 3.

So you say it can not be done, I am going to SHOW you it can be done

Oh yeah that 5000.00 also included paying motel expense, since his truck did not have a sleeper. My pete does less expense.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
    HwyPilot Thanks this.
  10. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    Good-Luck to you Coastie. Expecially with your medical situation.

HwyPilot Thanks this.
  11. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Go Coastie Go! Keep us posted on your health and the company situation.

I completely understand that you needed to get out of the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.