Coconino County, AZ "bans" CB and Ham Radio!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Gadfly, May 5, 2014.

1. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Another local jurisdiction has abitrarily banned the use of CB and ham radio. This apparently took place April 25th by the county board of supervisors "after study" and "public comment". I'm told their "comment" was simply a notice in the local paper! This is bad news for all users of two way radio. By the way its worded, an employee of BNSF Railway could be nailed by a cop for using his two way radio. A CB operator and trucker could be popped for giving a "smokey report". :( But it may come back to bite them in the butt. :)

You see, CB radio and amateur radio are licensed by the Federal Government, not by the state or county. In the case of Amateur Radio, I am certain that there is quite a lot of precedent in the Federal Regulations, Part 97 of the US Code, and in the fact that the FCC has traditionally encouraged the use of mobile amateur radio and praised its work in emergency services and disaster relief. In the case of the "scanner law" exemptions where local cops were seizing amateur radios as "scanners", FCC filed a "friend of the court" brief praising amateur radio and issuing an exemption for hams to stymie local Bubba's in their pursuit of their radios. It also, in this "Amicus Brief" it encouraged the use of ham radio in mobiles, citing its ability to rapidly respond to emergencies, and after 9/11, FEMA awarded thousands of $$$ to local ham clubs to invest in equipment and mobile assets. CB radio traditionally has been allowed to operate mobile because, along with ham radio, it is flexible, can provide a rapid response, and quick information to where its needed. Years of tradition, precedent, and the FCC law as it exists---all this makes me believe that a court challenge by ARRL, Truckers' Associations, and individual radio users would hand Coconino County's A * * to them on a silver platter, tie them up in court for years, and cost the county THOUSANDS in lawyers fees! IOW, I don't think they can do this. Radio is not licensed by a county, and, thus, they have overstepped their authority.

The only way local Bubba's get away this is, they rely on ignorance of the law and intimidation, hoping people won't notice. OTH, I'm sure they'd notice a trucker boycott when their store shelves began to get a bit bare!!!!!!:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    What was their rational for doing this? You know our country would be a much better place if about 75% of the politicians, both state and federal, would just disappear.............

Big_m and Phantom409 Thank this.
  4. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    If you're not a member, join OOIDA and send this to them, when several cities tried to ban trucks, it was sent out, the truckers responded and in time, got the laws changed. The city has no control over using the radios, they think they do, but if challenged, I'll bet this gets changed.

milskired, 6 Speed and Pmracing Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is interesting to see what won't happen. nothing is going to. Until they fine someone, there can't be a court case and in truth the law is meaningless and there has even been the question of whether or not a cell phone ban (hands free driving) is even legal because the feds are the only ones who are allowed to regulate radio/cell phones, not the states or cities or counties.

I'm not going to worry about it, Hams are smart enough to be test cases to fight stupidity like this and HOA.

6. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    [h=2]New York Judge Declares Amateur Radio Is Not a Cell Phone[/h]
    TAGS: amateur radio, amateur radio service, arrl,
    ARRL Regulatory
    Information
    , cell phone, citizens band, mobile radio, mobile rig

09/10/2010
    In many states and localities, it is illegal to talk on a cell phone (without
    a hands-free device) while behind the wheel -- doing so can result in a ticket
    and possibly a large fine. But on May 30, 2010, when a New York ham was talking
    on his mobile rig, he didn’t think he was doing anything wrong. Except that the
    officer who pulled him over and cited him with a $100 fine didn’t quite see it
    that way.

Steve Bozak, WB2IQU, of Clifton Park, told the ARRL that when he was pulled
    over while driving to Troy -- about 16 miles away -- he assured the officer that
    he was not speaking on a cell phone, but on his handheld transceiver. But
    according to Bozak, the officer said “it was all the same to him.” So Bozak
    decided to fight the ticket in court.

“Honestly, it’s not the fine or the ticket, but that all the other hams who
    use mobile radios have to hide the fact we are mobile in Troy,” he told the ARRL
    just days after he was cited. “I will do my best to settle this politely and
    correctly, for all of the ham community. So I will follow the course and have my
    day in court, to ‘tell it to the judge.’ This matter affects 38,000 hams in New
    York State.”

Unfortunately, when Bozak had his day in court for a pre-trial conference,
    the prosecutor refused to dismiss the case. But he didn’t give up and took his
    case to City Court where, on September 8, where at the request of Bozak's
    attorney -- ARRL Volunteer Counsel (VC) Jeremy, Rase,
    KC2JRD -- the judge dismissed the case in Bozak’s favor.
    Bozak argued that his use “of a handheld Amateur Radio does not fit the
    definition of a mobile telephone, and as such, the present charge should be
    dismissed.” The prosecutor’s office did not submit a response in opposition.

Saying that New York’s Vehicle and Traffic Law defines a “Mobile Telephone”
    as a “device used by subscribers and other users of wireless telephone service
    to access such service,” and that a “Wireless Telephone Service” is defined as
    “two-way real time voice tele-communications service that is interconnected to a
    public switched telephone network and is provided by a commercial mobile radio
    service,” the judge decided that Bozak’s handheld transceiver did not fit that
    description.

“A review of 47 C.F.R.§20.3 reveals that Citizens Band Radio Service is
    defined under private mobile radio service not commercial mobile radio service,”
    the decision read. “Therefore, the Court finds that the use of an Amateur Radio
    device does not fit the definition of a mobile telephone as defined under the
    Vehicle and Traffic Law” As such, the judge dismissed the case in Bozak’s
    favor.

“While the court cited the Citizens Band Service instead of the Amateur Radio
    Service, the ruling very is favorable to amateurs on the precise point of law
    raised,” said ARRL Regulatory Information Manager Dan Henderson, N1ND. “The
    principle of law is spot on. This is a great ruling in New York and exactly what
    we had thought would happen.”

[h=3]Photo
    Gallery
    [/h]

• [​IMG]

Back

Source: ARRL.ORG

Phantom409 and SleepysRose Thank this.
  7. Gadfly

Aug 18, 2006
    I'd fight it! Now the cellphone is a bit different under the current law. Two way radios are licensed directed to companies and individuals (or ham clubs), and even CB is licensed even tho you don't have to have a 'paper' license. A cellphone is a "contract" device whereby a consumer contracts with the carrier for the use of the cell. The actual 'license' is held by the carrier. In this sense, the locals *may* have the authority to regulate it since cellphones have been shown to impact driving so badly. The use of a two way radio never has caused even so much as a ripple in the scheme of things, and that's because of the disparity in the way they work. It hasn't yet been tested, and I asked Laura Smith of FCC this very question: Can a local government tell you you cannot use your Federally licensed radio and ticket you for using a mike? Due radio's long history, its lack of impact on driving, the fact that radios are licensed by FCC, is this not overreaching their authority? She said that a ruling may have to be made, and those of us impacted by adverse local rules should organize thru our truckers' associations and ARRL (ham) and present a Petition for RuleMaking to FCC and see if it flies. Unless WE rise up, the local yokels will run roughshod over us, and we will have no one to blame but ourselves by keeping silent.

More and more, our freedoms, speech, assembly, personal space, or use of radios are being chipped away. If we want to slap these ***** clowns down, it's up to us!!!!!:biggrin_25510:

Big_m Thanks this.
  8. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    You are correct about not being able to file suit yet. As of now there is no "standing" to do anything about it in court. Even if someone does get cited for it, it would be difficult to establish standing on anything other than the amount of the fine. Maybe in the future someone could prove that their life has been adversely altered as a result of this law.
    Any municipality can enact laws that are in conflict with federal laws. Example: It is legal to own a firearm in the U.S. under federal law, it is a felony to possess one in the City of Chicago.

9. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    Don't know where this town or county is but I can tell you this the law violates state and federal law for some of us.
    AA&E required to have a CB as well as cell phones.
    Most hazmat loads required to have 2 forms on communications in the vehicle ( IE cell & CB)

And in my case OD required to have an operation Cb on at all times for communications between driver and pilots and other vehicles on the road

10. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Hmmmm how old are these clowns who make these silly rules? Less than 30 years of age? I don't believe back in the 70's, during the CB craze, that we had accident after accident because someone was chatting no their CB or ham mobile....

Cell phones are different, and so is texting....but neither are in the same league as a mobile 2 way radio in terms of distraction.

I suppose next they'll ban you from eating while driving? Goodbye fast food drive thrus....

11. Gadfly

Aug 18, 2006
    Actually, IF you ARE an amateur, there IS precedent where FCC made a Declaratory Ruling on scanners, praising the Amateur Service and its "federal interest" in promoting and facilitating Amateur radio, *including mobile operation It would difficult for FCC to reverse this position since it is already a matter of public record.:yes2557::biggrin_25525:

Hardlyevr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.