Coffin sleeper/historical question

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Avenger29, Jul 7, 2011.

1. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    Man I guess you had to just have a mason jar to pee in and hope that is all you have to do....

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Update: (although this was back in March) I had to run a round trip to Boston from PA with a 6 hour unload.

I had to be at the receiver at 6:30 am (early start construction) but they gave me a day cab.

Couldn't get a hotel room for 7am to 5 pm (the maids clean the room from 11-3)

So I got up at midnight, arrived at 6am, checked in, walked for breakfast, took some moving blankets with me and made a bunk in the belly box under the floor. I slept for about 4 hours the first stretch and 3.5 hours after a pee break. Made sure none of the guys locked me in. Not the best "night" sleep I've ever had. Got home about 2am the next morning.

heyns57 Thanks this.
  5. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Furniture pads on plywood over the seats of a day cab were not uncommon when I started observing drivers in the 1950s. I used that method myself whenever a sleeper cab was not available, but the load had to run. Just be sure to log an eight hour break rather than a sleeper break. I knew one owner operator who specified a bench seat just for the sleeping arrangement. One day, we had to help him out of the truck. His hemorrhoids were hurting that bad. Management didn't seem to care.

baha Thanks this.
  6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

A while ago I asked, (re: line #2 vs. line #1, 10 hr breaks and hotel receipts) if I took a tent with me and camped out near the truck for an off duty break.

I had about 6-8 runs up to NW Pennsylvania in a 3 month period. Was a 13 hr round trip so I kinda needed to take the break for legal reasons.
    I found a nice spot in a state park about 1 hr short of the shipper. But decided I'd rather deal with a local hotel than a local bear. (the furry, honey-eating kind, not the let me see your logbooks and ticket kind.)

7. SandyT (Tagalong)

SandyT (Tagalong) Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2020

8. SandyT (Tagalong)

SandyT (Tagalong) Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Back in 1980, my husband and I ran team in a '79 Pete, with a coffin sleeper behind the cab, with a "dive through". It was actually just the back window of the Pete had been taken out and you had to "dive through" to get in the sleeper and yes, you drop down. My husband was a big man, about 6' tall but over 240# or so, and I weighed maybe 130. The "coffin" was so narrow, (maybe 30/32") that in the times when we had to lay over or wait to load/unload, and both wanted to sleep at the same time, we had to sleep "spoon fashion" and when one turned over, the other had to, also. No power steering (center point, only) no cruise control, the cab was so narrow that the driver could reach the window crank on the passenger side door. Lots of fun. We did drive much nicer trucks over the years, with all the comforts of home, just about, triple digit trucks. How many times did I say, "oh, I feel so good, I could drive a Winn Dixie truck to California and back". We ran team for about a dozen years, running to California every week, from L.A. (lower Alabama) to L.A. (Los Angeles area) or from south Louisiana, for about 10 years, until he had to get off the truck for health reasons. I kept on driving for the same company, only instead of Cali once a week, I was going to Orlando twice a week to unload (from Louisiana) then reloading to go home. My husband, by that time had undergone open heart surgery and had both legs amputated due to diabetes. When he lost the second leg in '96, I went to work locally for (wait for it...) Winn Dixie, day cab, 65 mph, top speed and ran four states and still home every night (or part of one). He passed 20 years ago, and I retired 10 years ago, 2010. It was fun while it lasted. Thirty years, no tickets, no accidents, clean MVR. I got to see lots of our beautiful country!

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Hi Sandy..welcome aboard.....I'm sure you have more stories to share

10. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Great stories, I hope you'll share more on here there's a lot of people who would be very interested. You're posting in a general public area now, but with your history you have an experience bank that will entertain and educate most drivers so please dont be a stranger.

11. Deputy Chief

Deputy Chief Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.