Coming into a hill too fast, no warning signs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Reaper'sTrucking, Feb 13, 2022.

1. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Ive always used the stab method. Not to ride out the entire decent but to drop a gear or if I was nearing the bottom of the hill.
    Ive also never been in a hurry to get down a steep grade so being in the right gear and Jake setting I rarely even touch the brakes going down a steep hill.

I have considered that the engine brake could fail. So I think its worth considering the 10 PSI method. I doubt it is about air hitting the rotors and heating them up. It’s probably the intense/shorter friction using the stab method vs lighter/longer friction using the steady light pressure method. I honestly dont think the stab method gives much time to do much cooling really.

Back in school we had two old hat OTR experienced instructors debating which method was best and it went on for a while before one of the instructors ended it by telling us that either would likely work fine if done correctly. He just emphasized that you should chose a method and control your speed on the hills.

As far as the four wheelers stacking up behind you. You are joking, right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve heard it called “snub braking”, while “stab braking” was an emergency tool.

RedForeman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.