Coming to complete stop in a 10 speed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Calical1888, Nov 6, 2015.

1. tedlife

tedlife Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2015
    alberta
    Just kick the clutch in when you're down to third... don't coast in neutral ever for anything.. tho I'm sure everyone's done it... then stalled trying to start in 5th with your ranger still up lol

lagbrosdetmi and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Huh? Have it in whatever gear you take off in then go.

4. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I'll come down to sixth, let it coast in gear til it's about 800 rpm pop into neutral about 15' from the stop, once my speeds down to ~5mph I hit the selector to low range, and continue coming to my stop, once the wheel speeds down, I'll slip into second and clutch in.

Called rolling into gear.

5. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Seems like it would be difficult to stall when stopping. Usually the truck will pull me a bit before lugging. Stalling when starting from a stopped position is a lot easier. It takes some practice to work the clutch in unison with the accelerator. When loaded, I would usually start in 1st gear until I got more comfortable with 2nd.

If I'm in 10th gear and I know my exit is coming up, I start preparing like a mile before. Shift to 9th and then let off the accelerater and let the truck gradually slow down. I go down through the gears, using the engine break as needed. I usually do 9th to 7th then 6th. After 6th gear (under 15mph), you can pretty much use neutral and brakes until you can slip into the low gear you need (usually 2nd gear), or just stop in neutral if you want.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    your school told you that because by law they cant teach you how to stop being out of gear that is considered losing control if you was getting tested at the DMV.Start downshifting a block or so before you stop that way you'll be in the correct by the time you do approach your stop.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Lol, don't listen to that guy. OTR is 90%+ cruising in top gear so, yeah, it will take a while to get downshifting down. You need some local trial by fire to get up to speed. :)

I usually slow to 35 and downshift to 8th, 7th at 25, and 6th at 15. If it's a fast stop I'll just leave it in 7th and push in the clutch and stop.

8. Calical1888

Calical1888 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I
    s that the same with coming up behind cars. It sounds weird to ask but when I get to stop lights I'm usually fine but when I'm in traffic bumper to bumper I get kinda anxious

9. SISYPHUS

SISYPHUS Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2015
    HADES
    This is my one and only shameful statement. I tend to hit neutral and coast to my stop. Recovery is simple if needed, but I have bad knees and am a coast advocate. If you disagree - spank me...

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  10. Calical1888

Calical1888 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    So to coast you just clutch to netrual and then hit the service break? Don't gotta touch the clutch until you start

11. TigerShark

TigerShark Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Just make a run through any big city and go right downtown. Then you can stop and go all you want and build confidence. You just killed 2 birds.....with 346 shifts into 2nd.

OStreet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.