Coming to complete stop in a 10 speed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Calical1888, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    In that situation, that is what you have to do. There will be times when you can’t downshift, and you have to use the brakes to stop asap.

Jjay and OldeSkool Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I was just using that as an example of some of the emergency situations you find yourself in. I realize proper driving and paying attention to your surroundings eliminates much of that but occasionally it still happens to me

4. kevin h

kevin h Bobtail Member

May 27, 2019
    if i'm taking a road test for the dmv and in at a red light or stop sign whats can i come out of second are do i have to start in first just to show them i can work all gears.. mind you im making left and right turns..

5. OldeSkool

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    When I took my test the instructor told me just use my common sense and shift how I felt most comfortable. Idk if they would all say that though.

skellr Thanks this.
  6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Put it in neutral and use your foot brake. The truck will stop.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    That was my experience also.

I did get "dinged" for keeping my hand on the shifter between gears in the low range when starting out from a stop and going through an intersection...

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I usually kept the shifter in a particular gear suitable to the speed and terrain that is closing on a light or long green. That way when shes stopping, clutch is in shortly before the brake is in. Hand stays on the shifter setting up the pending situation.

There is another habit I get into called the Jersey crawl. If you are on route one with 30 miles of red lights timed to 38 mph (OR 45 mph which is over speed limit) you learned to be in a lower gear at 10 mph a half block behind the last waiting for green car. That way you kept moving without actually stopping.

That is not used for road tests though.

Sometimes on very steep situations where all you see is sky off a stop sign or red light, when it's time to go you close the trolley handle and it takes a certain time for your trailer brakes to release, just enough time to come your foot off the brake and onto the hammer to start pulling power in your lower gear. Do it quick so she don't roll backwards which is also a ding on your test. Get that clutch closed on quickly and smooth, you don't ride on it in situations like that.

In a automatic, it should follow you down close to a stop. At a certain point you will clutch in and stop. At that point there is a pause while your computer stops the transmission spin and selects a common starting gear. It will click into place ready for you to take off on green with clutch out and brake off and power added.

9. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Was told the same thing. Something about not being in complete control of the vehicle.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When you do not have power with clutch engaged, the drives have nothing to fall back on via the driveshaft. Sometimes a no traction situation will result if you free wheeled all that weight when you are not supposed to.

It's a older rule, predates most all of us out there on the road today.

Bill51 Thanks this.
  11. OldeSkool

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    That's crazy. Seriously before you get your hand to the steering wheel it's time to shift again.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.