Coming to orientation Aug 13th...

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by SpiritWolf, Jul 23, 2012.

1. SpiritWolf

SpiritWolf Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    North Highlands CA
    eh, i was trying to keep from attaching it to the window.. I dont like things blocking my view at all. I may have to do that if my idea of gluing a mirror to the dash for the suction cup to stick to doesn't work....

The saga continues... got the turbo fixed...blew an air line... got that fixed, blew a water hose... Got that dealt with... and... blew an air fitting... while fixing that, another water hose sprang a leak...
    and on... and on....and on.... So around 6pm, they tell me to take her out for a test drive... she should be good to go...
    She ran fine...
    but there was a weird crunching noise when I hit the splitter and downshifted from 6th to 5th... It happened twice... but im hoping it was just me doing something wrong...
    when I parked at the shop.... another water leak.... AND another air leak...
    ::sigh::
    they dont have the parts, and they think i could go without them getting fixed....
    but... im not sure I want to hit the road with this many issues...
    but if I dont.... then Im likely to be stuck here all weekend.
    this is really starting to annoy me...
    Its like the company decided to give me a BRAND NEW tractor.....
    one part at a time...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Becker44

Becker44 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Missoula, Montana
    Chin up Spirit, you'll be running soon enough. As new driver's, I'm with you in wanting to feel the tractor is safe to operate. Let us know the outcome.

Yesterday I awoke in our Helena Terminal. Had a great night there. The Driver's Lounge was virtually empty so I had the kitchen to myself and did some cooking and ate like a pig! Had a room to myself as well as shower/bathroom.

Checked in with dispatch by phone as I've been doing since my truck does not have the Qualcom installed yet. Was told I'd get a "shuttle" run from Helena back to Missoula (my home terminal) so the shop could do a once over on the truck. While waiting around, the Helena shop did an alignment on the tractor since Missoula does not have the equipment to perform alignments.

Got my shuttle run information around 1:30pm. Simple task, take a loaded trailer from Helena to Missoula to be re-powered somewhere. So route 12 McDonald Pass again. Pretty full load and a full obstacle course of construction on the pass. The paving project is in full swing with one narrow lane open in each direction. Couple of stop and go's to allow equipment to move about. Slow going but a chance to go through the gears both up and down the pass.

The three stage engine brake on the Volvo allows for very nice speed control on the downgrades. Find the proper gear and let the Jake do the rest.

Got to Missoula around 4pm. Dropped the trailer and headed for the shop to reluctantly hand over the key so they could do their thing. Was informed it would probably be Monday or Tuesday before I got it back. This service they do which includes installing Qualcom and a full service generally takes 2 days to perform. This being Labo Day weekend throws the schedule out of whack a little.

As an alternative to hanging around for the long weekend, I put my name on the "Fire List" which is a great money maker if we are called upon. W/S is contracted to haul supplies out to the various fire camps in MT, ID, WY. With all the fires out here there's a decent chance a run or two will be needed. Some of the regular runners are off for the Labor Day weekend so I'm hoping for a run to break up the weekend.

I do live here in Missoula so it's no big deal if I'm down for 3-4 days. As a new driver, however I really want to stay out and at my new profession.

Updates as we go!

Becker

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  4. Becker44

Becker44 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Missoula, Montana
    Well as luck would have it, I did get a fire run on Friday.

Located at the Missoula airport is a federal agency that warehouses and delivers supplies to Fire Camps throughout the Northwest. A large wild fire had broken out in Pine Creek Mt. which is located about 40-50 to the north of Yellowstone National Park. I was called around noon on Friday and asked if I'd be interested in the run. Heck Yeah!

I arrived at the facility at 12:30. Went into the warehouse and reported in. The guy running the dock pointed to one of their shiny new trailers and said they'd have it loaded in about an hour so hang tight. No problem, I went back out to the truck to check it over. Since my truck is in the shop I was given an older Volvo with about 800K on it to make this run. The trailers owned by the agency are appoximately 30' in length, so an hour seemed reasonable.

1/2 an hour later I was asked to go back to our terminal to get one of our 53' trailers as there was no way they could fit what was needed in one of theirs. Returned in 15 minutes (literally we are across the street) and backed to the the dock.

Loaded and pulling out at 14:30. It was 255 miles to the camp which took about 4 1/2 hours with construction and 2 slow mountain passes on I90 near Butte. Then south from Livingston to the fire camp. The directions had been supplied which I was grateful for as my GPS was still in my truck being serviced. As I got closer to my destination, the smoke thickened considerably. Several local roads were closed with a National Guard unit at the entrances prohibiting people from entering.

The directions took me pretty far off the beaten path until I arrived at the camp itself. They had great markings from about 3 miles out. I noticed many other fire fighting vehicles and personnel heading to the same place. I arrived at a large cattle ranch and called the contact number they had provided me. Nice man told me "Yup, come right down that dirt road and take a right at the barns, we'll be watching for you"

I wasn't sure I could squeeze through the fencing bordering the dirt path, but granny gear and mirrors did the trick. Got to the barns, took a right as instructed, and there was the operation in full swing. Barns taken over, at least 500 people milling about, a couple of huge tents already in place serving as mess halls and cooking facilities.

Was asked to wiggle the trailer in as close to a barn as possible where they had a forklift and a couple of supply guys at the ready. All the guys there were very nice and appreciated the supplies. During the unloading, I watched (and pitched in a little) to see what I had hauled out there.

Quite a collection filling the 53 footer. Everything from aluminum tables, fire hoses, helicopter supply kits, clothing, command tents, sleeping bags, generators, MRE's, and the list goes on. After a couple of hours I was unloaded and returning to Missoula.

Overall a great run. Got another education on something I hadn't known much about and met some nice people as well. Turned the truck off a little before 02:00 pushing my 14 hours right to the max.

My truck may be ready today (Monday) and if so, I'm hoping to get rolling again soon.

More later,

Becker

hup and 2021DREAM Thank this.
  5. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    Becker, you write a good story! Thanks for sharing it! I didn't know we helped out with those runs. Sounds like a great adventure.

6. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Love hearing these stories of starting at WS. When I read about the orientation in Missoula, it's like I'm there all over again...been through it all. Oh, and about the SFS shop, you'll learn to "love" it there....it's not much of a shop in my opinion. When my truck had turbo and transmission issues (it was one of those crappy Volvo automatics), I requested and got a beer load from Irwindale right to Zip beverage in Missoula. They ended up giving me a different truck. I don't trust the SFS shop as far as I could throw it!
    Anyways, enjoy your new profession. I'm looking at possibly going back OTR as the job situation here in Socal sucks so bad...

7. SpiritWolf

Jul 10, 2012
    North Highlands CA
    So....Friday Morning... they got my truck to about 95% fixed..... and I bolted... Lol.
    Eh, they have some good people at SFS, but..... I would have rather been broken down in a cooler area.

From SFS I ran through LA traffic, then a long dark run up I-5.... my headlights are not all that great I found out..
    Kinda scary at times there. Stayed the night in Sacramento, so i got a chance to visit my fiance and kids ;-)
    From there contiuned up to salem Oregon, for a home depot drop.. Of all the odds, Found an old friend I had lost contact with. We worked together back in 2001 ish.. He now does security at the home depot facility in Salem.
    Small world it seams..

Also found out that the heater in my truck doesnt work... great... will have to get THAT fixed to next time I brave a shop...

So... today... I had one of those.... "Experiences"....
    Running up 12 through washington... out of cell phone coverage because of the hills, so No one is bugging me.
    My phone is plugged into the radio, with "shuffle" set....
    Hit a steep upgrade... Downshift... downshift... Dropping into the right lane... Car passing with little kids in the back seat pumping their fists... respond with a long blast from the air horn.... much to their obvious delight...
    Engine roaring, cresting the top of the hill, silky smooth upshift... and again into 10th... Sawyer Brown on the radio... Blasting out "6 days on the road", with the windows down....
    The lyrics say... "my rigs a little old, but that dont mean shes slow. Theres a flame from her stack and smokes rolling black as coal"
    Yeah.....perfection...
    I Love my job ;-)

time to get to sleep... Have 700 miles to run tomorrow en-route to Phoenix AZ.

hup Thanks this.
  8. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Wow, you're in an '05 Freightshaker? I thought they would have gotten rid of most of those by now. Well, stick with it and it will either break down enough or talk to Mark in Missoula (if he's still there) and see if they can put you in a newer rig.
    I live not too far from the SFS terminal, so see WS trucks with a little regularity. I always look for my old ones...1832 and 1751. Next time you get back to SFS look and see if there is a KW daycab there, 106 I believe. I drove that truck about 3 months on a daily run from SFS to halfway to Phoenix, trailer swap and back. Nicest truck I've driven....18 speed and a lot of power!
    Anyways, take care and stay safe driver...

9. SpiritWolf

Jul 10, 2012
    North Highlands CA
    Hey..... I like my 05... lol... tons of room, and i have a place to put my fridge.
    The downside is the constant need for repairs...
    2700 miles in the last 7 days, and I need to head to LA again for the shop....
    Transmission issues this time.. (in addition to the rest of the outstanding problems)

Its hard to stay up-beat when every time you start moving, the truck needs repairs.

Other than that, Im loving this. pulled 685 miles in one day as my "high score" so far.
    I did that because it allowed me to fit a 34 into my trip. Downside is that even with a fresh 70, i am still going to be heading to a shop to sit and wait for repairs...

i think i saw the KW #106 when I was last at SFS... If I remember right, it came in to have its A/C repaired.

10. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    SpiritWolf: 685 is pretty good. Where'd you do that? My highest has been 719, eastern MT->SD->IA (mostly flat, straight, no big cities, light traffic). I don't really like driving more than 500/day though.

11. SpiritWolf

Jul 10, 2012
    North Highlands CA
    Ogden Utah to Flagstaff Arizona. 10 hours 52 minutes.... Pushed myself to the limits, and got lucky with no "Sunday drivers" slowing me down on the 2 lane roads.
    Was the 1st time I sat down and spent time really "planning" a trip. it worked out well.

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.