Common causes of semi accidents?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by shannon, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Skogie

Skogie Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Payson, AZ.
    Keeping a 8 second gap between yourself and the vehicle in front of you works for me. Keep backing off if necessary.

Check the brakes at least once every other day. By checking I mean don't just look to see if they are still there. Learn what is normal slack. Learn how to check it. Learn how to adjust them. Most automatic slack adjusters don't work after the trailer or tractor is over a year old.

A lot of companies don't want their drivers messing around with the brakes. Screw them! It's your butt and license. Find a freindly mechanic to teach you these things if the Company will not. Then get the tools do the job.

Do not EVER drive a truck or pull a trailer with defective brakes. They are your best freind in a sudden stop.

In slick weather, or even on snow or ice, having properly adjusted brakes help prevent jack-knifing.

Remember it is ALWAYS the drivers fault in an accident when the accident investigators discover defective brakes.

In addition, DOT inspectors just LOVE to write up brakes. Most won't let you adjust them, either. Have to call an ASE certified mechanic out. Lotsa bucks spent. Sometimes companies charge you back on your paycheck or settlement for this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncle bill

uncle bill Bobtail Member

May 1, 2007
    Backing accidents are the most common.
    Cures: 1) Proper set-up
    2) Get out and look
    3) Even with a spotter ,you get out if you're not positive
    4) Use all 4 mirrors, don't stare at the driver's side flat mirror
    5) Remember; 6 sides to a truck; left, right, front, back, top,
    bottom.
    6) Engage brain before transmission.

Use priority backing: 1st choice- straight back. 2nd choice- drivers side. Last choice- blind side. Avoid backing altogether if you can, such as in truck stops, use a pull through even if it means a few more steps.

Like all skills, safe backing takes practice. Don't be ashamed to do it safe and right. Only a real rookie would critisize you. I've helped many a driver and had drivers help me. ALL professional drivers do it safe!!!! The rookies are the ones that trash equipment because they think "real pro's" don't have to get out and look.

Could say more but I hope that helps. Drive safe!!!:yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.