Companies That Hire w/ Unemployement Gaps

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Drive Safe, May 26, 2017.

1. Drive Safe

Drive Safe Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Hi There, first time poster..

I really appreciate the knowledge many of you have about the trucking industry and I'm really thankful for the help I've received researching here. But I haven't had any luck finding an answer to this question.

Maybe some of you can help guide us here.

I'm looking for a training company that will accept someone with a 'spotty' employment record.

In the last three years I've worked about 1 year total between about 6 jobs.

It's not an impressive record, I know.

I was also unemployed for the 7 years prior to those 3.

For everyone curious, I was involved in a work accident 10 years ago as a courier. While standing in a parking lot, I was run over by a semi. For 5 years and 11 months I had a torn disc in my spine that kept me from working. I lost my normal driving job, my websites, and my family as a result.

I turned to Christ for help and almost 4 years ago I was completely healed. From one second to the next I went from being 100% disabled to jumping, running and shouting with joy. It was awesome, epic, and completely life changing to how I look at the world.

Swift was willing to give me a shot, but I was a little too honest on their application about some prior, legal where I lived, activity that I did in December and I was disqualified.

I can pass a hair test today, no problem. I also learned I to be more understanding when I read: illegal drugs to include marijuana; and realize, if it were legal for me it wasn't illegal, and obviously not what they meant.

If you know any companies that are willing to work with someone who has an ugly employment history, I'd love to hear who it is and what they would need to cover the unemployment gaps. A notarized letter, references?

Thanks for helping and have a blessed day!

/Drive Safe

WakeUpTheEchoes Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You say you can pass any drug test so then there's no need to tell recruiters your life history.The gaps on your work history just put looking for work or taking care of a family member.I think you'll only need to go back 3 yrs.

faux_maestro and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't ask;don't tell. Don't volunteer any information that isn't specifically asked for.
    Example:
    "Have you EVER blah, blah, blah?"
    "Have you in the last (blank) years blah,blah,blah?"
    Read the questions carefully before filling out the answer.

Now, where is your location, so we know the hiring area you live in?
    Carolina Logistics is pretty lenient so try them. They have their own cdl school.
    Do the online application before any phone calls, so that when you do call and say,"I'm checking on my job application", they will have it on their computer to look at.

5. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Keep in mind @Drive Safe, not volunteering to answer unasked questions, isn't the same as lying. Lol

6. Drive Safe

Drive Safe Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Thanks @Chinatown I was hoping you would help shed some light.

I live in Yuma, AZ.

Is Carolina Cargo a national carrier? I don't think I've ever seen one of their trucks on the road.

System Transport advertises here heavily, and I just got off the phone with a recruiter from there. Awesome company, but they only take 2 student drivers a week and said the employment history would be a hang up as a student driver for them. They're also mostly looking for NW drivers.

I'm considering Western Express or TMC, but I don't think either has their own school. Or APUs? I just recently moved to AZ, and it's over 100 degrees down here and it's not even summer yet! So I'm placing some higher value on companies that have an APU, considering my home location and that I'll be SW and into CA regularly.

I think a company with their own school might fit me easier, but the Yuma CDL School is only $2,300 and offers deferred payment without a credit check. So I'm really open to any that take a student with a sketchy employment history.

I'm open to flatbed or refrigerated since they pay a little better, but any company that's a good company with APUs is really what I'm looking for. Any idea if Roehl would accept?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your helping knowledge.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're correct; withholding information is not lying! Proof of that is "good guys finish last."

Jimmy Hoffa Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Carolina Cargo is a coast to coast team operation. You won't need an APU because those drivers keep the wheels turning; California/East Coast back to back every week.
    Carolina Logistics is the one with their own cdl school. Part of their training is California/East Coast back to back runs.
    I don't think Roehl has APU.
    Submit applications to companies that hire new cdl grads, even if you don't think they will hire you.
    Danny Herman Trucking would be ideal; trucks have APU and they stay in the warmer climates. There's a terminal in Calexico,CA.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Eagle KMC Transportation - terminal in Yuma. APU????
    Butler Transport - APU
    Titan Transfer - APU
    Navajo Express - APU
    Freymiller - APU
    TransAm - APU
    USA Truck - APU???
    May Trucking Company - APU???
    Southern Refrigerated Transport - APU???
    Abilene Motor Express - no APU but good idle policy and trucks run 72 mph.

jakesaw91 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    National Carriers has runs coast to coast, but has a Southwest regional route I think. Hires new cdl grads.
    [​IMG]
    Must have a valid CDL with successful completion of an accredited CDL school.

11. hoosiergirl

hoosiergirl Light Load Member

May 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Britton Transportation out of North Dakota might. My husband had a similar issue with his work history due to an injury and had some gaps and he's now working with Britton and loves it. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.