Companies that still have manual transmission vehicles

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zonno, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I’ve heard of trucking companies that supposedly have nothing but automatic trucks in their entire fleets. While this may be appealing to some, it would be a dealbreaker for me.

Firstly, even though you may be taught to drive a manual in driving school, if you get out and drive only an automatic truck OTR for a year or two, then decide to change to another company or get a local job that doesn’t have autos, you’d probably get laughed right out of the office, as the little bit of driving you did in school doesn’t make you a pro (just enough to pass the driving test).

Secondly, I was a yard jockey at a place called Lone Mountain Truck Leasing, and I’ve had to moved used trucks around the yard, and I’ve had trucks that would not go into gear because of a transmission fault. I’ve also had trucks that would take 10+ minutes of idling before finally going into gear. In summation, an automatic transmission is just one more thing that can potentially leave a driver stranded.

Lastly, even without the reasons listed above, I’m the type of person who would rather drive a stick. Perhaps a trip or two downtown in a big, populated city would change my mind, but I digress.

LoSt_AgAiN, Coffey and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Driver mills are the main driving reason for autos. Those schools don't properly teach students how to do anything besides hold a wheel.

4. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Any transmission can leave a driver stranded. Despite the endless debate, these MEGAs use autos because they're more cost effect. Easier to drive, cheaper to maintain, better fuel economy.

'88K100, Gutter, Muskie and 5 others Thank this.
  5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Personally, for a number of different reasons, I wouldn't have an automatic truck, but that's just me. It seems like they're everywhere now though. On a similar note, try and find a manual trans pick-up now-a-days.

Like @Mike250rs said, most companies like these autos as it's one less thing for the SWH to master...

6. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    The question is, is it still possible to find companies that will put you in a manual (if you so desire)?

7. Black_Yeshua

Black_Yeshua Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Go local. In my area you can't get a local job without being able to drive a manual transmission truck.

bentstrider83 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Read recently that Southern Refrigerated Transport has both manual and auto in their fleet. Most are auto's, but you have a choice.

9. Mohtrucker

Mohtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Jrayl have majority manuals in there fleets they have autos but mostly the ones who cant shift a #### get those

Speed_Drums and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Call companies and ask.
    So many companies are switching to autos it's hard to keep up.

bentstrider83 and Dennixx Thank this.
  11. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    After driving a manual for two years my company switched to automatics. I had to take a manual to the dealership and could barely shift anymore. I guess I probably won't be able to get a job with a company that uses manuals because there is no way I'll pass a road test.

bentstrider83 and Mohtrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.