Companies that will hire you with a felony background

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by pejoge1203, Apr 23, 2013.

1. DE36535

DE36535 Light Load Member

May 11, 2013
    Foley, AL
    One good thing to observe: some people will never have to worry about driving a road more narrow than their mind.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sonicdaheghog

sonicdaheghog Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Phoenix
    Hi there I have a felony that will be 7years old in 8 month. Ive been to two companies sence my conviction, yet not the best experience. Now every time I feel out an application Im almost at the point where Im getting on the bus to oreintation and they tell me at the last min. I dont qulify, Im getting flustrated and losing hope some one help me find out whats goning on?!

4. pusherman

pusherman Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    incase u don't know already discrimination AGAINST THE LAW. u need to get a grip with reality & look beyond someones past; some people change some don't, it's all a gamble

5. sonicdaheghog

sonicdaheghog Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Phoenix
    That so far from what happen to me I'm at a lose of words. It ez to put everyone in one big box when instant gradification is the norm. Furthermore I was a driver before I got my first and only non drug felony. I spent $8,000 on a refresher course. There's gotta be some way I can get further investigation into my matter, because if its policy I know there's some kind of petition I can get started. Someone with a little more passion about this position please respond.

6. SouthernShaker2

SouthernShaker2 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Flowery Branch, Ga.
    I obviously already have the Grip on Reality, Its Just others think they live in Fantasy lahlah land...Anyone yelling out discrimination would also not be working in my company neither..Im sorry if it seems too harsh and to the point. But you have to admit, It is the cold hearted truth and there is no compassion in the world...just words of compassion. and that's all it is, just words..

7. roadhammer123

roadhammer123 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Springfield, Ma. area
    I had a felony conv. back in 1999 unauthorized use of a motor vehical in TX. Some companies that Ive worked for or that would hired me at the 5 yr.point after the conviction hope this helps anyone that might be looking you need to know how to talk about it think smarter companies are TMC OTR Div., Western Express, GMH out of VT. , Regancy out of Ma. Melton,Metropolitain trucking bloomsburg Pa., Smith transport, Paul miller, Baylor, Prime & J&R Schugel. the highlitghed ones are the better in my opinion for money and life style. drive safe yall

pejoge1203 Thanks this.
  8. DeafTalk

DeafTalk Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2013
    I didn't "really" say anything about what you addressed. I told you about my story with Swift, that in Wisconsin there is a law that protects felons from being discriminated against, and that whether you can get hired on as a felon or not all depends on when that company starts the time i.e. my crime was committed in March of '03, and most trucking companies start from that time, but companies like Prime start from the time that your sentence ended, which would be 7-years from the beginning of '09 for me.

However, since you mention, yes, people that get DWI in their own personal time should be able to drive a CMV. A man should be able to do whatever he wants in his very own personal time, so long as it is not harming anyone else, without having it carry over into the workforce. As for rapists and murderers, I don't think they should be free to even have a chance to get a job. I personally have not committed a crime that disqualifies me from getting a Hazmat endorsement. I just beat somebody up pretty bad. You know? Good old fashioned fight. If you are able to get a Hazmat endorsement, I don't see any reason that a trucking company has to discriminate against people because of their background. The exception is the case of DWI's, and that's a matter of their insurance company. That is understandable, but they personally should not judge a man by that.

9. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    Schneider has many convicts driving their trucks.

Sent from my HTC ONE courtesy of Tapatalk.

10. roadhammer123

roadhammer123 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Springfield, Ma. area
    I was a young dumb 19yr old when I had a felony conv. back in 1999 unauthorized use of a motor vehical in TX. Some companies that Ive worked for or that would hired me at the 5 yr.point after the conviction hope this helps anyone that might be looking you need to know how to talk about it think smarter companies are TMC OTR Div., Western Express, GMH out of VT. , Regancy out of Ma. Melton,Metropolitain trucking bloomsburg Pa., Smith transport, Paul miller, Baylor, Prime & J&R Schugel. the highlitghed ones are the better in my opinion for money and life style. drive safe yall

11. brandon.vose

brandon.vose Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Building Systems Transportation out of London, OH (van division) and Wilmington, OH (flatbed division) does hire felons. Thes safety director Tracy takes them on a case by case basis. I have a buddy that is a felon (violent) and is still working on their dry van account. If you have shown a positive track record since the felon you will have no problem getting on even as a new driver. I drove on the flatbed side right out of school and can honestly say its a great company to work for. You paid percentage and I would say is one of the few places you will and can make 40,000+ your first year with no experience. I ran hard in my first year and I pulled roughly 47,000. Winter time you may find yourself waiting to find a backhaul but that is part of flatbedding. There are 2 dedicated outbound accounts being Timbertech and North American Stainless Steel. I have listed how common each outbound load is:

Timbertech in Wilmington, OH- 80% of outbound loads / all pay minimum $300 one way

North American Stainless Steel in Ghent, KY- 15% of outbound loads / all pay minimum $260 one way

Red Built in Delaware, OH- 5% of outbound loads / all pay minimum of $250 one way

All of the loads listed above must be tarped except red built. Loads from timbertech go to the midwest or northeast. Loads out of N.A.S. go northeast 99.5% of the time. I have only had one Red built and it was a 2 stop to North Carolina and Florida. Overall get used to New Jersey. I typically see home once a week and get weekends off as do other drivers. They run all volvo's no condos all midroofs but in good shape and continue to buy 2014's.

Pros-
    Equipment
    Pay
    Paper Log
    Hometime

Con-
    2 week hold on 1st pay
    A little unorganized
    They will deduct paycheck for any damages that are driver fault

Overall one of BEST starter company I feel you can drive for in the area and make a living. Would also recommend to experienced drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.