Companies who may let you practice with a stick?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Skootlez, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    As the title may suggest, I’ve not touched a stick since trucking school. I got my cdl on a 10 speed, but I’ve been stuck in an automatic since I was officially hired by a company nearly 2 years ago. So any suggestions? I’d imagine I’d grind gears worse than a rookie but I understand the concept of it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. just_sayin

just_sayin Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Bristol baby
    Just like riding a bike, you will pick it right back up again. Just like my dad told me when teaching me to drive a million years ago on a 5×4. Every time I would grind he would say, don't worry they will make them out of rubber next year. Meaning the gears in the transmission LOL. Honestly, I think it will come back to you if you were proficient at it before. if I was in Knoxville instead of Bristol. And we weren't under a mountain of snow. I have a 13 you could practice on

drvrtech77 and Skootlez Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are you going to change companies?

Skootlez Thanks this.
  5. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Looking to. I was going to a few months back and talked myself out of it. I’ve been here almost a year and a half now and they’ve went full on team oriented. Most of the places I’ve looked into cringed when I asked about autos.

6. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    That would be awesome. I figure that’s how it would be honestly. I do recall struggling a bit on taking off uphill and some down shifting. Honestly it was mainly timing.

7. just_sayin

Sep 2, 2012
    Bristol baby
    Chinatown might confirm this, and will probably have better info than me. Danny Herman out of Mountain City Tennessee runs almost all Autos I think. I know a few of their drivers, they seem happy. But I don't have any firsthand knowledge. Unless you're looking to get away from driving an auto.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jim Palmer Trucking has 10 speed stick shifts. They run coast to coast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MC VanKampen trucks run 75 mph, but not sure if stick shift or not. No Northeast runs.
    [​IMG]

9. just_sayin

Sep 2, 2012
    Bristol baby
    As far as companies being apprehensive. I don't know if I would say much in your initial contact with them or not. If you have a face-to-face with them, maybe you could say something like. You know I learned in a manual, but I haven't driven one for a while. I think most places would understand in this day and age. Hell I've never driven an auto LOL

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Get the rig out of the yard, and practice on the road,,,

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Throw it. Fetch. Deliver.

Repeat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.