company dragging ### on training

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lulel, Jan 26, 2023.

1. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Asking for a new trainer is perfectly fine. I did it when I was in training. When I got back to the terminal, there were other trainees who were testing out. Almost all of them told me they'd been through more than one trainer. Just don't leave the company, especially if you're under contract

tscottme, lulel and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Persistence pays.....

The race is not always to the swift....or to the strong....but to those who do keep running.

Patience is indeed a virtue. :)

He who dares--wins!!! :cool: :D

--Lual

tscottme and lulel Thank this.
  4. lulel

lulel Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2023
    i don't want to go into details but it was toward a child. and it was screaming. and threatening. i'll never support that.

Thrasher28 Thanks this.
  5. lulel

lulel Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2023
    7-8k lmfao. they are paying me while i wait, but it ain't much! i'm just gonna stick it out. thanks!

6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner

This wrong and bad advice. If you don’t know what you’re talking, don’t talk!

The contract is between the OP & the OP’s current company, no future employers are apart of that contract. The OP’s current company can come after the OP. and only the OP.

It’s 100% up to the OP to satisfy the contract. On the other hand if i was the OP i, would have a lawyer look at the contract. The company has to satisfy their end as well. If they refuse to complete the training in a timely manner, did they meet their obligations?

I don’t know how the contract is written. Is it written to just get you your cdl, or to get you your cdl & properly trained for the job?

They have you contracted to work for them. Wouldn’t this mean they have an obligation to work you? By leaving the OP home and unable to generate income are they breaching their own contract?

I would talk to a lawyer if this is going to keep being drug out. The company’s lack of available trainers is not the OP’s problem, it is the company’s problem.

A lawyer wouldn’t cost very much. An initial consultation would be less than a couple hundred dollars, and may very well be free.

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Your trainer was verbally abusive to their family, kids or whatever? Maybe I missed it, but I don't really see why that's any of your concern. You've waited 2 weeks on a new trainer.....you could have been 2 weeks closer to getting out of that trainer's truck. That trainer's family issues aren't any of your concern. Get your driving hours, and get in your own truck, and hit the road. Also, let me add: be careful who you talk to in this industry. You gotta alot of drivers that don't have positive vibes. They talk so much trash, especially to new drivers that it makes them constantly 2nd guess their moves. It can also sour your view on the industry. Focus on what you're trying to do, and what you're wanting to get out of this industry

Turtlelegs and tscottme Thank this.
  8. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Wrong. If a person signs a non-compete agreement with Company A and Company B knowingly hires the employee while they're still under contract, Company A can sue Company B for "tortious interference with a contract" or "tortious interference with prospective business relations/prospective economic advantage." This is most commonly seen in the executive and sports worlds, but it can be applied anywhere that a legal non-compete agreement exists.

My advice to OP was to carefully review their contract for an agreement like that. Whether or not their company would actually sue them or a future employer, much less win, is not something I can say. But they should consider it because it could happen.

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. GreenPete359

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Company B did not sign a the contract. They’re not a party of the contract.

10. GreenPete359

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Ducking truck stop lawyers smh. Next week he’ll be a doctor

11. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I'm aware of that. But in certain situations, hiring someone they know is under contract could be considered interfering with the contract and causing economic harm to Company A. It depends on the exact wording of the contract and the jurisdiction(s) it's subject to.

Again, there's no guarantee that OPs company will sue or would win. But the threat of being sued could be enough to deter another company from hiring them. It's a risk they should be aware of.

But I won't keep arguing with you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.