Company driver per diem

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by REEFERman450, Jan 3, 2018.

1. REEFERman450

REEFERman450 Light Load Member

May 3, 2016
    We drive a Team for a company. We make. 50cpm We run 4200 miles per week. We brought up the subject of per diem to the company. The owner calls and starts the double talk.... Bottom line he is only offering. 02 cpm pay increase to offset per diem.... He told us to take it or get out of his truck on Saturday....

In Texas the company is not required to pay per diem.... What kind of crap is he trying to pull? Why won't it benefit him to pay us 63.00x 2 per day?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Per diem is not a dollar for dollar deduction whether written off as a business expense or as a personal work related deduction.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Why would you want per diem? Lowers your earnings on paper, making you less eligible for that mortgage on the house you're looking to buy or the loan for the car you've been drooling over. It also means lower disability checks should you be injured, less vacation pay if your pay is based upon your average wages over the previous year, and also it means lower social security checks coming to you if you're near retirement age.

Why?

Because that per diem is a "reimbursed expense" the company is paying, and as such it is considered tax free because you're being reimbursed an expense you had.

Keep in mind, at tax time you get a per-day deduction for each day you spend on the road. This "per diem" is basically substituting for that deduction...but you STILL need to compare what the company paid to the deduction you'd otherwise be entitled to claim. If they over-paid on per diem, you'll have to pay taxes on the difference. If they under-paid, you can claim the difference. Either way, you'll pay the same taxes whether it's paid per diem or you are paid wages and claim the entire deduction for yourself. The big difference is your gross pay on that W2, which will be significantly lower if you've been paid part of your check as per diem...which is why those things I mentioned in the 1st paragraph are affected.

The ONLY benefit to you as a company driver if you're paid per diem is if you owe child support or alimony. That is usually based off your wages, which would not include the per diem...so you'll have less being taken from your check if a good chunk of that is paid as per diem. If that doesn't apply to you, then it's pretty foolish to request per diem from your employer because there is no benefit to you. If you want bigger checks now instead of a big refund, then adjust your W9 to claim an extra dependent or two so that less money is withheld for your taxes. It makes sense to do that anyway, because the government does not pay interest on the overpayments you've made throughout the year, so you've basically given the government an interest-free loan.

Personally, I wouldn't work anywhere that forced per diem...and if given the option, I'd always refuse unless I had a reason to hide part of my pay from someone.

Gunner75, Oldironfan and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Most OTR companies don’t pay per diem. It’s up to you to take it off on your taxes, talk to your tax preparer.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. REEFERman450

May 3, 2016
    Since the new Tax bill was signed.. Company drivers are no longer allowed to deduct per diem hince why I asked the question.

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Really? Where in the new tax code does it outline that?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. REEFERman450

May 3, 2016
    Nothing about per diem is stated directly. It's part of the itemization deductions lost to company drivers. Carriers and owner-ops still itemize.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  9. REEFERman450

May 3, 2016
    Sure if your an oo but company drivers loose this starting 2018.Nothing about per diem is stated directly. It's part of the itemization deductions lost to company drivers.

10. BrandonCPA

BrandonCPA Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2017
    In the new tax bill they removed unreimbursed employee expenses. Because they removed this, they effectively removed the deduction for per diem.

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I thought they basically took per diem away also because company drivers can't itemize it. Other people keep saying you can. They did not take away per diem, they just took away they option for unreimbursed employee expenses from what I hear.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.