Company drivers and 34 H reset?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KandyKane, Oct 13, 2019.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You have to be opportunistic with taking a 34. Look at your load plan, particularly on the weekend, and see if its feasible. If it ain't, then your trip planning for the week changes

FlaSwampRat, D.Tibbitt and catdog45 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yup

They usually don't plan for the "long term:". If you can theoretically do a run "now" then that's it, they do it. Even if it shafts you for the rest of the week. They don't think that far ahead.

They usually want you to run around like a chicken with your head cut off. You know, run down the hill for one cow when you could walk down and have a few....

Short sighted people who don't have time to think.

4. Gamgee

Gamgee Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I don't understand. I thought it was the law. After some are saying 60 some are saying 70 hours you have to take a 34 hour reset by law. Can someone please explain how companies can get around this?

Gamgee

FlaSwampRat, D.Tibbitt and catdog45 Thank this.
  5. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    34 reset is not a law. You use it to get your full 70 back. If you dont do a 34, you use the recap hour to run.

Bean Jr., FlaSwampRat, starmac and 2 others Thank this.
  6. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Get a lot of 34s running flats. Most shippers/receivers are closed on the weekend so it's easy to sneak one in.

7. Gamgee

Gamgee Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Recap Hour?

All those hours and days away from home. I don't suppose the carriers offer overtime do they?

catdog45 Thanks this.
  8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Basically you can work up to the 60 or 70 hour total, then after that if you do not take a 34 reset you will recover whatever hours on duty you had 8 days prior at midnight. Say you worked 10 hours 8 days ago you would get 10 hours to work that day then at midnight you would get back what was then the previous 8th day and so on.

Basically this is how the weekly total worked prior to the 34 hour reset being introduced in 2004. That is why paper log books have a recap page inside the front cover and some have recap boxes on the log page.

9. Gamgee

Gamgee Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Thanks. Still don't get it. So what is the 34 Hour reset for then? If not to refresh drivers? I just don't get it.
    I really do appreciate everyone's help, assistance and patience with me here.

FlaSwampRat and catdog45 Thank this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It is exactly to refresh a driver's hours, just some drivers do not work a full 14 hours every day so they do not need to sit still for a day and a half every week to gain hours back.

Really, if you only log 8.5 hours between driving and on-duty total you could work forever without running out of hours because of recap.

All recap hours are is the okd way of caculating available hours, most carriers today want the drivers to use the 34 hour reset because it make their load planning job easier. They don't have to figure out how many hours a driver can run on any day, only keep track of the weekly total and assume a driver will run the full 14 hours each day if the dispatch plan calls for it.

Bean Jr., FlaSwampRat and catdog45 Thank this.
  11. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    He still doesn't get it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.