Company drivers, would you haul hazmat for just your normal mileage pay?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Matt43324, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    That's not always true. I worked for Schneider Intermodel and I was asked at least once a week if I had hazmat. I also held tanker, it was all in the computer, dispatch was too lazy to look. Since I pulled tanks, I never really thought about it, but dumps has a premium rate on hazmat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Up here any every driver is hazmat qualified if company hauls hazmat. Its just a simple open book test.

4. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    The rule is 75 or if multiple products in a trailer is 25 extra if live load that at least in the north east since 99.9% of the loaders don't know Jack about hazmat loading

5. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Working for a two driver company I'm paid a salary and the more income I can get for my boss per day then the less days a month I have to work to earn that salary.

Coming out of the Northeast the Hazmat loads pay about 30% more, so of course I take them... my compensation though in my specific case is that I'll be out on the road a day less than I would otherwise before coming home.

Back when I work for a mega they offered like 2 cents per mile which is a joke, and before that the company I pulled for was partnered with an LTL company and they didn't offer any incentives or bonus so I never got it bcuz why would I haul haz twice a week in the northeast for free?!

Matt43324 Thanks this.
  6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    In a word, Yes.

It seems to me the whole “haz-mat” pay started after the finger print/backround checks started. Imo get over it, most general freight otr drivers aren’t really hauling anything that bad. The guys who haul the stuff you really need to be concerned with are normally specialized and get paid better anyway.

At the end of the day freight is freight, what’s it matter what’s in the box?

misterG and ChicagoJohn Thank this.
  7. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Get paid more. Anything you do that require a special licensure or indorsement pays more. If not let the other guys do it. Or right they don't have the endorsement.

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The size of the fines and the number of points for various possible violations.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  9. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    ?

If you paid attention during training, & do your job correctly...there are no fines or violations. Duh

10. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    You asked what the difference was and I told you. If you want to haul hazmat for the same rates as non-hazmat go right ahead. The insurance companies certainly don't think all freight is the same though. Maybe they know something?

BlueThunderr and Northeasterner Thank this.
  11. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    The dot or cop with the badge and the gun says it matters.

In a litigious age with overly-complex laws, ever-increasing databases like CSA that track the minutiae of safety and compliance; as well as revenue-seeking states desperate to shore up collapsing pensions I consider pulling hazmat a risk simply because the state can make it a problem for you, financially speaking.

The customer can either pay for that increased risk, or find someone else to pull their load for them.

In short: regulations drive up the cost of business, now pay me!

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.