Company health insurance question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Roadgeek395, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Roadgeek395

Roadgeek395 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Is it uncommon for an employer to pay for your health insurance?

My employer pays for my health insurance and from the research I've done it seems like this is uncommon.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    For most common companies I’d say it’s commonly uncommon.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Saw an ad in Texas one time; free for driver and domestic partner.

Rideandrepair and Roadgeek395 Thank this.
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Have paid for the driver and family since the early 80's. Very few appreciate it.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    At my company it is only $75 a month for employees... But if they add children,or a spouse to the plan it get really expensive really fast... But it also has a $0 deductible, so itbis worth it.

7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, it is uncommon.

Back in the late '90s the company I worked for paid for our insurance. It had a very high deductible, pretty much catastrophic insurance.

I have a very similar plan now, but I pay a lot more for it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some drivers have found this company cheaper. It's worth checking into. The chart will show the price, then can decide if it's worth it or not.
    ~
    • Medi-Share applicants pay a one-time, non-refundable $50 application fee. • New members pay a one-time $120 member fee that is paid with the first Monthly Share payment (does not apply to Senior Assist members). • There is also a one-time fee of $2 for setting up your sharing account.
    Pricing | Medi-Share
    upload_2020-8-1_8-16-0.png
    www.medishare.com/pricing

Rideandrepair and homeskillet Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In the years since my discharge from the Air Force until around 2014, I pretty much had this type of health coverage or I had none. I think most of my deductibles were in the $200-$250 range IF I remember correctly. I just paid out of pocket for routine care. Back then you could see a primary care physician for a simple visit for $50 and under, and I did this at the most 2 times a year. Just made sense to me an unmarried person to have that kind of coverage. Today in retirement I use mostly the VA for my care. They also contract out the civilian care I also get.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    My high school friend has used the VA every since he was discharged from the Air Force. He's in excellent health also.
    The Navy didn't inform us of that benefit. We were led to believe we had to have a service related disability.
    I went to the VA to sign up, but the obese woman at the front desk was so rude, I walked out and never went back.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When I left the AF in 1980 I was also NOT service-connected. I did get some X-Rays done at the Atlanta VA, but the doctor there said that was the extent of my "benefit" at that time. I think it was something to do with Obamacare that the VA opened up to all honorably discharged vets. I get almost all my care with the exception of dental care there. My VA group does NOT get that care. It's OK though, I use a civilian dentist that is great and really does not charge that much!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.