Company Sponsored Training or Independent Schools?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Asphalt Cowboy Spirit, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Asphalt Cowboy Spirit Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2011
    California
    Yeah that could be a great option, I've been looking into that.
    What do you guys think about Werner? I found out they'll allow my dog and hire new drivers for regional jobs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. almostthere

almostthere Light Load Member

May 23, 2010
    MN
    If I were you I'd do a really thorough search on here about Werner before I went that route. If the Dog thing is your top priority then maybe that's what you need to do, other than that I personally would cross them off the list real quick. I'm not sure what your choices would be with your home out of Cali. Have you checked out May or Watkins Shepard?

4. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't think that May Trucking allows pets on their trucks. Many reefer companies don't.

5. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Nov 19, 2011
    California
    Well, I can't leave my dog by himself...
    I've checked Watkins Shepard, and they don't allow pets unless you own the tractor...

6. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    That's NOT what they told me! They told me that they DO allow pets.

Perhaps you should call Watkins and Shepard back and ask for Kristy or Darlene in recruiting and get them to clarify.

However, be aware that they DO NOT have OTR trainers anymore, so if you're a recent driving school graduate with no OTR experience, they might not be the best fit for you.

Also, know that you'll have to take an agility test that takes about an hour to complete. I didn't have any problems with it, but some might.

7. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Nov 19, 2011
    California
    Thanks for the advices!
    I just called them and now they do allow pets lol!
    There is a deposit of $500, no trainer after school and you can have your dog after 90 days of employment.

My question might be stupid, but what's an agility test?

8. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    its to make sure you can physically preform certain aspects to trucking. Like stooping underneath the truck to check the jaws around kingpin. Climbing on the bed of trailer. Lifting your gearbag over your head INTO the truck. Not a big deal. If you're young and reasonably fit , you'll pass no prob. One thing. remember to BREATH during the tests. what they measure is heartrate after each test.

9. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Nov 19, 2011
    California
  10. thePUNISHER

thePUNISHER Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Merced, CA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.