Company sponsored training? Whats wrong with being a slave?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by tariqa, Jul 20, 2013.

1. roadlt

roadlt Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Hughson, California
    No, and you couldn't answer any of those questions before you got your CDL and got hired either. You didn't kmow the answers to any of those questions before you came into trucking either. And, you probably coudn't answer them nine months into the job....Who care what you know or think you know, nobody but you! Oops, sorry, forgot, you were born with your license in one hand and a stick shift in the oher while holding on to the steering wheel with your gums...

ColoradoGreen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ColoradoGreen

ColoradoGreen Heavy Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Roadlt, I appreciate you finally proving my point for me.

"You couldn't answer any of those questions before you got your CDL and got hired either."

That's my point. You and Chase don't have the experience necessary to be talking about what "norms" are in the industry.

4. ColoradoGreen

Mar 1, 2010
    Dead wrong.

If the jake is on, you put your foot back on the gas. Not to the floor, but, get the jake off, and switch to using the foot brake. Remember, it was the jake that caused the tires to lose traction. You also want just a touch of throttle to pull the trailer back in line.

5. roadlt

roadlt Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Hughson, California
    I can tell you one thing that is quite evident, it is full of insecure, blow hard-know it alls that bloviate on blogs about how much knowledge they have. Besides, yeah, the norm for the industry starting out is pretty much the same every where you go. Sure some pay a little more or less per mile. Some have three weeks training, some four and some have more than that. That I do know... How to do the intricate details of the job, no, I don't know that, yet! And, I can and will talk about anything I want to talk about. I don't care what you or anybody else thinks, you are nothing to me but, writing in a box on a computer screen. This means nothing, zero in the scope of things in life. I'm bored at the moment and you are providng me with some entertainment. Kind of like teasing my dog or cat type of thing..

6. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    How big a patch of ice are you talking about? You don't brake on ice. If it was just a short patch, you're going to be out of it before counter measures would be possible, and at that point you would adjust your driving to assume more ice ahead.

roadlt Thanks this.
  7. ColoradoGreen

Mar 1, 2010
    If it was long enough to cause the drive tires to slip and the trailer to twitch, a long enough patch to assume that it will continue.

And coming down a hill, you'll have to find a way to brake on ice and snow.

Once you get the jake off and the trailer back in line, you shut the jake off completely and brake with the foot valve. The more equal application of brakes across the entire combination will keep the unit straighter.

That is precisely why the jake, or the johnny bar in another instance, can cause things to come out of line. Unequal application of force on a slick surface.

Once the truck is under control, that's when you make the call on whether it's safe to continue or time to stop.

If you don't believe me, simply ask your teacher at the school.

8. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    Once I figure out how to shift, I'm gonna have to figure out how the jakes work... Second road ride today, lol.

roadlt Thanks this.
  9. Wanderingaimlessly

Wanderingaimlessly Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    He is right about the jake situation. Anytime the trailer starts to walk away you give it some throttle which would cut off the jake.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Go ahead and take that same attitude tens of thousands of other CDL mill students had in the last few years. But where are 90% of them? Not in the trucking industry.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Do you really think the instructor knows?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.