Company/Trainer Coercion

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by WrongTurn2085, Jan 2, 2022.

1. WrongTurn2085

WrongTurn2085 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2021
    I have an issue with the company I'm at. My trainer falsified my logs. He taught me the wrong way to do things and kept me in the dark on a lot of things. After four months out in my own truck I got pulled in and "coached" by the company's compliance office. Isn't that coercion? Aren't there whistle-blower laws? They can watch our HOS in real-time, so why didn't they "coach" my trainer then instead of waiting 4 months to "coach" me. There have been over 5 of us with this issue. How can we be expected to know any different? Any advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    School yourself on the rules and note that most trainers are boneheads.

Bean Jr., roshea, p608 and 7 others Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Coercion would be making you feel like you have to do something illegal at the risk of your job.
    Is that what they did or did they show you the proper way to log?

MadScientist and 401-Alex Thank this.
  5. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    How did the trainer falsify your logs?

Help me understand, since it is up to each person to do their own.
    Nobody should be able to falsify yours.

6. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    When you certify your logs you are agreeing that everything is true and accurate.

Professor No-Name, MOBee and Kyle G. Thank this.
  7. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    You didn't learn how to log your time until you were out with a trainer?

Professor No-Name Thanks this.
  8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Agree with @AModelCat. HOS stuff and pretty much everything you need to learn can be done through internet sites such as YouTube. Also, you can ask questions on this site and many will gladly steer you in the right direction. I know I was well aware of the HOS rules long before I went to CDL school and went out with a trainer. My only dilemma was learning how to apply them to the specific situations I had to deal with. I just made my best guess, asked for specific guidance if I was doing things correctly and learned and went on. And, yes, LOTS of this stuff is confusing, not clear cut and you can receive conflicting answers. So, you go with your best guess. If you end up being wrong, you aren't the only one who gets stuff wrong, you learn from the mistake and next time you'll have a better understanding what to do.
    In the end it comes down to personal responsibility. You are the one wanting to be a CDL driver and it is completely your responsibility to learn your way through all this. You will make mistakes, we all do. It's called being a rookie. While it would be nice and the way it "should" be that your schooling and trainer should teach you all these things. The reality is that seldom happens quite like it should. It doesn't matter, it is still on you to learn and figure it all out. No one will hold your hand for long.
    I wish you all the encouragement I can! You can get this. There are LOTS of successful drivers who aren't the sharpest and they still manage to fumble through and eventually get it figured out. I also recommend you don't have such a negative reaction to being coached by your compliance folks. They are simply trying to correct you and show you how things need to be done. I had several great conversations with our safety folks in the beginning who helped me learn the way things were supposed to be safely and legally accomplished. I didn't take it as critical of me, I took it as opportunities to learn.
    Best of luck and just relax, take a breath and go fumble through the next thing you have to do the best way you know how. Eventually, it does get easier and you'll confident and comfortable with it all.

MadScientist, wis bang and Kyle G. Thank this.
  9. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015

Hours of Service (HOS) | FMCSA

10. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Amazing. OP asks a question, makes some accusations, then disappears. So typical these days.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    How can it be coercion if they brought you in to show you how to log correct/legal? Unless that class was how to break the law, all they did was correct a training flaw.

Bean Jr., MadScientist and mitrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.