Completing a B.A on the road. I just did it!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ethos, Jan 18, 2018.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    So, I just got my rough draft to my thesis back. I need to make two changes and resubmit it. Basically, it means that I am done with my degree. It feels amazing, truly amazing! I did 90% of the work in my sleeper, on the road as a OTR trucker the whole time. When I started my degree, I was with Trimac and running about 3,000 miles a week. Now at Superior, I run less but my appointment times are usually tighter. Basically, if I can do it, you probably can as well. I did it with a cheap laptop, two cellular plans and a tablet.

So let me go over some final numbers. I am a veteran and I was able to convert some of my military training into college credit. An entire years worth of credits to be precise. Also, I did 5 CLEP tests that cut down on my time. Altogether, 2 years and 1 month total. Took a month off when I went to Europe or that would be 2 years total. If you are a veteran and have the G.I Bill, you really should consider school. The reason is that you get paid a stipend and they pay for tuition and books. So, I made about 20,000 dollars going to school.
    But, if I had not been a veteran, it would have cost me right around 34,000 dollars for four years of school. Now, remember, even if you are not a veteran you can still CLEP an entire year worth of credits. That would bring the cost down to 25,000. If you pay your own way you also get some form of tax credits but that never applied to me since I used my benefits. I also want to add that I used a year of benefits in the apprentice program at Schneider and still had enough to complete my degree. I took 2 classes at a time, 8 week schedules. I did two semesters of 3 classes but those were brutally hard to do.

Hardest class: Algebra, it was brutal but I did find some calculators that made it much easier. Well, doable anyway.
    Best classes were history.
    Most surprising classes were economics. Really enjoyed those.
    Final GPA, 3.85

I want to stipulate that the point if this thread is not to debate college. If you think college is a waste of time that is awesome but I do not need to hear it. The point of this post is to show that being OTR doesn't mean you cannot go to school. It is also to encourage people. Not that I can say for sure, but on this site anyway, I think I am the only one to have done it. I want to show other drivers that it can be done. I hope this draws some interest and I will answer any questions that any one may have. If you want to go to school, do it! I promise it can be done.

Lepton1, cybill234, lynchy and 17 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Congratulations brother! You did better than me, I got off the road for 2 years to get mine.
    Take a nap, and get busy on the MBA. :)

Shock Therapy, Puppage and ethos Thank this.
  4. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    While I have been accepted into a masters program, I doubt I will do it. I really do not want to go back to school for a while.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  5. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    My wife took a 15 year break between her BA and her MBA. She will finish it up around November. At least I have been able to help her with a lot of the classes.

ethos Thanks this.
  6. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Where did you go for it? I went to American Military University and the wife is attending American Public University also online.

ethos Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That is awesome. Congratulations.
    One of the best uses of all this technology that has come out in the last 10-20 years, with internet, smart phones and all of that is the ability to not be tied down to a single specific classroom at a specific time.
    This allows anyone that travels for a living, not just truck drivers, access to schooling that can improve their life. This is always a good thing.

One thing I'm curious about though, as what did you get the degree in? And what is the subject of the thesis?

ethos Thanks this.
  8. Redwave

Redwave Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    Holy cow. Way to go ethos. When I first read the he

9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Hey, a fellow Alum!!

nightgunner Thanks this.
  10. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Logistics. The title to my thesis was, "Are Autonomous Trucks Viable and What Impact Can They Have".

tucker and ZVar Thank this.
  11. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I loved the flexibility of it even if some of the instructors left a bit to be desired...

ethos Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.