Compliance for 1977 KW

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 12vCumminsFlatty, May 28, 2023.

1. 12vCumminsFlatty

12vCumminsFlatty Bobtail Member

May 28, 2023
    Howdy everyone hope y’all are well. I’ve got some questions regarding an old 1977 Kenworth. My uncle drove this truck for years and I used to ride around with him as a kid. It’s been sitting around the shop since 2012. It’s a little rough but it’s been a recent dream of mine to restore this truck and take it to shows. Now unfortunately, I live in California so I have a feeling my goals might be cut short. I’m aware, of course, of the ban on any truck with a certain GVWR and older than 2010, but that’s as much as I know. So I guess my questions pertain to a possible Non-op law or maybe some kind of antique truck law that excludes a certain year of truck from being banned. I am not sure if there is some kind of way to at least be able to get some kind of exemption to allow for at least some driving of this truck recreationally on the road. I don’t want to pour my time, love, and money into this truck if I wouldn’t be able to find a loop hole or something to be able to drive it at least a few times a year. Thank you and I would appreciate anyones reply and informations.

Bean Jr. and Last Call Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I have a 1979 KW K100 sitting/parked. I still have no idea what I’m going to do with it. It’s 100% intact all OEM. It runs. My kids want me to restore to show condition for shows. Anyways, I’m Commiefornia also and im pretty sure they have an exemption to drive to shows. Contact Sacramento or look it up on there website.

Magoo1968 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. 12vCumminsFlatty

12vCumminsFlatty Bobtail Member

May 28, 2023
    Yeah, don’t even get me started on California lol. Anyway, thank you for the good info I’ll go ahead and do some more in depth research about that. It gives me a glimpse of hope I suppose.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    BTW, I still see old iron driving around in Commiefornia pulling loads with the state plates, they have a way of “cheating” the system. I’m sure there day will come.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’d say join ATHS and reach out to the chapter closest to you and ask them how their members travel to shows with their antique trucks.

Magoo1968, 201 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    American Truck Historical Society
    Try this. They have chapters in California and Nevada that can answer your questions. When you get a definitive answer jump back on here and let us know. Thanks.

8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I’ve read that farmers in California are exempt from the new emissions laws. Just have to show that it’s low use/mileage to get the exemption.

Not that this answers your question.. Just some hope that you may be able to secure an exemption since they do grant them.

9. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    if you don't mid me asking would this truck happen to be white with a green frame ? And might you be able to post a couple pictures

201 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Should you decide to sell, i'd be interested

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Roger that. I’ll keep it mind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.