con way layoffs?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by latanea, Dec 7, 2008.

1. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    Guys in Cincy are hearing that Conway is laying off 2100 people this coming week.

anyone currently working for Conway know the scoop?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I haven't heard that yet,......I imagine I can give up hopes of getting hired if that is the case,.......

Gawd,...What next????

4. AspiringTrucker

AspiringTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Freight is laying off, truckload is not.

5. DieselManD08

DieselManD08 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Bessemer City, NC
    im a mechanic for conway freight in charlotte nc.. we lost 4 mechanics, a bunch of drivers (30 i believe) and dock workers, and also that some every high up people lost there jobs as well. 40 service centers shut down nationwide. i hear rumors theres more lay offs coming in january. i should just say firings because there giving the "laid off" severence packages, which means more than likely your not coming back! just a really sad situation.

6. red19222

red19222 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, MO
    Con-way Freight is supposed to eliminate 1400-1500 positions. I am a driver for Con-way Truckload, and we are operating business as usual according to communications recieved from upper management. This is really unfortunate for Con-way Freight guys, but all in all I suppose it is in response to slowing demand for services.

7. able14u2

able14u2 Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2008
    miamie,ok.
    red19222
    buisness as usual is no freight for solo drivers. they sit waiting longer

8. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Diesel, Where did you hear that rumor about more layoffs in January? A reputable source? Or just gums a flappin'? Reason I ask is I'm the junior Freight driver at my terminal and if there is then yours truly will next on the chopping block. I have been giving some thought to looking around already because of that high possibility.

9. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    And yes Conway freight laid off 2000 total. Not all drivers. We lost one office person and one line-haul driver here.

10. DieselManD08

Dec 12, 2008
    Bessemer City, NC
    the source i heard that from is not in management, and he didnt say how he knew. hes not the kinda guy to lie about something like that, but no one in management has said anything. kinda hard to reply on that tho because no one was told that this last set of layoffs were coming either. not at my terminal at least. so i hope its just some gum flappin' but i reckon we'll have to wait and see..

11. DieselManD08

Dec 12, 2008
    Bessemer City, NC
    also these last layoffs put me on the bottom of the seniority scale too. so i know how u feel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.