Con-Way Truckload Questions........

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by truckerinnc, Aug 11, 2009.

1. truckerinnc

truckerinnc Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2009
    NC
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences good or bad with Con-way truckload and/or freight. I've been looking at several companies for a while now and this forum has eliminated all (from past threads on how bad the other companies are) but Con-way. I haven't seen anything in this section about them and the only way to really learn about how a company conducts business is to hear from current and past employees. So if you know anything about this company good or bad from your own experiences or something you've heard, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Go to the main page and look for Motor carrier report in the first section.
    Con way has 3 pages.

Go to search and type conway.

I found lots of links.

4. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    The Conway drivers I have meet seem to like working there. Use the search feature at the top, there was a couple drivers going with Conway TL back in March\April or there a bouts.
    Also, this section is more for BAD COMPANIES. A more likely place to get a response is Question From New Drivers.
    Other than that, welcome to the site, look around introduce yourself, have fun and drive safe.

5. tmellen58

tmellen58 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2007
    Southeast,KS
    We recently worked for Interstate Dist. out of Tacoma,Wa. as Team/otr. We became frustrated with having so many break downs on our eq and all the down time with that and lack of preplanning,so we contacted Conway in Joplin on our last hometime.We spoke with a recruiter there {Dana} who convinced us to come over to Conway. We gave her all the necessary info for our dac reports to be ran,and a few days later we were told all was in order and looked good to hire us. She asked us what date we wanted to start orientation, and we informed her that we needed two weeks to give notice to interstate,so we could get truck turned into our terminal,etc.. She then stated "why should you give them notice,when they wouldnt bother to give you any notice,if they wanted you gone?? We agreed but still called our company to let them know we'd need to be worked toward the nearest terminal and that we were resigning.To sum it up, we turned in our truck,were supposed to start conway orientation aug.10th,then a full week after truck was turned in she called and said they couldnt hire my husband. 1 too many preventables. They knew he had 2 preventables when they approved us and allowed us to turn in truck. Now we are jobless. Also, dont think your hired because you make it to the 1st day of orientation,they have a ridiculous "obstacle course" you must pass or you go home that evening or next day, and they will not pay to get you back home since they didnt hire you. They presently have some sort of recruitment contest in their recruiting dept. and the recruiters will tell you anything it appears. If you apply to them, you'd better have a A-one driving record the last 3 years or more,otherwise dont waste your time or money!!:biggrin_25512:

6. detroitpages

detroitpages Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Melvindale, Mi
    Sorry to hear what they did to you, yeah that obstacle course is a little different but not much different than trying to drive around a Pilot at 11pm.

It would be nice if the companys could be held financially responsible for the things recruiters say and do. their game is if its not written on paper - I didn't say it. and recording the conversation doesn't work because if they don't know your recording its not legal and if they did know they either would tell the truth or simply just not talk to you.

Conway at one time was an excellent company but like the other companys has become just another company to work for, as for the work you can expect between 1500-2500 per week avg. with the average run being 400-600 miles. You will have some better weeks and runs and some worse. BUT this is not any different than the other companies out there.
    If you are going to go teams or O/O they treat you much better.

as far as job security goes, the overall feeling I get is that you have to look out for your self, I used to be in the military where you could count on everyone watching out for you and it was a total team work enviroment, at conway its not like that.

I heard one driver rolled his truck just 2 weeks out of the trainers truck and is still driving while other drivers get a scratch on their truck and are fired right away. Its hard for me to feel comfortable knowing this can happen.

I've been driving just over a year and have found that alot of companys (local) are looking for 2 or more years exp. - or are basically the same if not worst than conway. I guess my next option which I am looking into is to try to lease or buy a truck - but with no money down isn't an easy task - plus buying a decent truck for a cheap price also is hard to do as well.

They say the economy is starting to turn around, lets see just what happens...

7. wndrwtr

wndrwtr Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Texas
    "recording the conversation doesn't work because if they don't know your recording its not legal and if they did know they either would tell the truth or simply just not talk to you."

Most all law enforcement is recording your conversation during a stop and it is admissable in a court of law. It is my understanding, only ONE party of the conversation has to know it is being recorded.

tow614 Thanks this.
  8. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO

Very true! Now, if you tell the recruiter that you're taping the conservation just listen to the screaming of the silence after they hang up on your butt! Don't tell them anything until you've asked them all of the questions on your "interview the company of your dreams list" THEN tell them "Oh I forgot I was taping this was that ok with you?" and I'll see you on such and such a date and bet yourself that you'll get the call later in the week about you NOT getting the job and see who wins the bet!

Just remember that only ONE person needs to know that you were taping the conservation and that was you! If hired and what you were told isn't what happens in the real world then use the tape! Works especially well when you're leaning over said recruiters desk, in their face, looking them in the eye, as they get that wonderful warm feeling below the belt buckle area as Mr./Ms Trucker is about to fall on their fat arse tape recorder playing "Silent Lies" or "She got the gold mine I got the shaft"!

9. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Ad in Jacksonville and Tampa Florida. Experience needed. Teams.....

10. hlaird

hlaird Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I got a call from Con-Way today. Their website doesn't really tell you anything, and I've heard mixed stories about them especially since the merger. I've also read on here that drivers will go to orientation and have to sit weeks before getting trucks. Here's some of my questions. Thanks for any help.

What is the Idle policy?

What is the home time policy?

What is your per diem policy?

What is orientation like?

What is the detention and layover policy?

What is the pay per mile for drivers with one year experience?

What are the trucks governed at?

11. QBall3577

QBall3577 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    What is the Idle policy? If you have to idle, then idle but it will count against your MPG. Must meet a minimum of 5.8 last I heard. Bunk heaters included for winter and the company is testing out APU's on 100 trucks right now, again, last I heard.

What is the home time policy? 1:7

What is your per diem policy? None

What is orientation like? Unknown. I did company sponsored tng.

What is the detention and layover policy? 3 hours for detention # $15.00 per hour (I believe). Layover is 120.00 after 48 hours.

What is the pay per mile for drivers with one year experience? .36cpm 0-124,999 miles. .37 for 125,000 - 249,999 miles.

What are the trucks governed at? 65mph

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.