Conceal carry??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TooTiredToTalk, May 25, 2022.

1. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    Really? I was told they won't or weren't allowed to hold your gun for you either?? (Don't remember which way it was told to me).

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    @Rideandrepair

Not saying I don't believe you. Just saying that's what I've heard. So just curious :) You know....kinda like how if you forget you have larger bottles of liquid hygiene products, knives, a gun, etc the airport will just throw it away (apparently.....don't know how you legally throw away a gun though especially if they are tied to you)....unless they have them sent off to be destroyed????

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I can’t say they all do. Camp Legume NC does. I was there recently, at least 5 Drivers checked their guns while I was checking in. Put them in a Lock box. I was the only Driver that wasn’t carrying. I was surprised. Recently went to Pensacola AFB. Asked them about it. They said they don’t hold guns. You have to take it to a private location, and have them hold it, before allowing you on base.

gentleroger and TooTiredToTalk Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Saw it with my Own eyes. Pretty sure it was Camp Legume.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I would suggest not carrying.

why? have you ever killed anyone? shot, stabbed someone, put someone in the hospital?

if you, have you don't want to do it again. if you wound them you'll be sued up the "ying-yang".

I've done all of the above yrs ago ,in the military and as a civilian, and really don't want to again.

I don't carry only because I know I WILL use it and kill someone.

I'm danged near 70 now and haven't needed any gun in over 25 yrs. I do own a bunch and stay proficient.

yes, I used my Stanley thermos as a weapon, a short crowbar, er, tire thumper, once. but, a gun.... no. even when I drove OTR for over 35 yrs.

be aware of your surroundings and don't park close to seedy areas.

I usually stayed about 1/2 to an hour away from major cities. got up ran in did my load and got back out.

also, most people carrying are too slow to use and end up having it taken away. done that also as a bartender/bouncer.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm also normal size, not like those giants of nature over 5'3". Don't ask, don't tell is the most common answer.
    There is no law or regulation that applies just to truck drivers. MOST trucking cpompanies prohibit guns in their trucks with their employees.
    I've only ever had my truck searched by 1-4 customers looking for hidden people in my truck in almost 30 years of driving.
    Maybe 1-2 cops have ever asked if I have any weapons in my truck in dozens of interactions with ANY type of contact with security giards or cops.
    There is only 2 ways to be legal everywhere you go in a truck. 1) don't carry any weapon. 2) Be a actve/retired cop with a badge.
    Everywhere else you are to obey the local/state laws where you are at. Laws vary by jurisdiction. In some places a box of ammo makes you a criminal.

You have to make your own decisions. I'm still trying to decide whether to carry a gun in the truck or not. I might even buy a gun one day. ;-)
    If you don't buy/sell/use drugs or deal in stolen merchandise or hang around with peope that do those things you reduce you chance of being involved in crime by 90%.
    It is not the wild west in trucking. You drive, sleep, eat continuously. There is little time to do much else and if you don't go looking for trouble you will not find it. These days there is a LOT LESS, if any of the prostitution, drug sales, stolen merchadise sales, that were common at truck stops in the 1990s. You can choose to not carry and feel safe or you can choose to carry and take different risks of getting caught. Both decisions are reasonable. I suggest the vast, vast majority of truck drivers do not carry a gun. Only unusual circumstances on the job would make a secretly carried gun known to your company or the cops. But those circumstances, like you are in accident and rushed to the hospital and your truck is picked up by another driver or towed after an accident and the contents are inventoried could turn a bad day into a much worse day.

9. tscottme

I've been to areas in and around Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, Los Angeles. San Francisco and Oakland and Portland and Seattle are the only places I REALLY worry about. Most of the time I simply don't get out of the truck except while I'm on customer property. Portland Oakland and San Francisco are scary even just driving down the numerous inserstate highways.

Numb and TooTiredToTalk Thank this.
  10. tscottme

Some mega fleet trucking companies have someone search the truck whenever it is parked for a shop repair. If you choose to carry a gun, it should not be left in the truck when ANYONE else is going to be in the truck without you. Any gun should be taken with you such as when you sleep in a hotel, go home, give truck to a shop, etc. Also, it's extremely rare anyone breaks into a truck, like at night. If you are scrupulous about the truck is locked at all times except when you are getting in or out, there is almost no chance anyone will open it or try to break in. Truck break ins happen when the criminal expects the truck to be empty, but truck stops are so crowded you are almost always in view of numerous others around your truck.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  11. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Above all else, situational awareness will render ALMOST all deadly interactions un had. That’s the most important skill. A gun like all other weapons is just a tool. And a tool can’t be used properly if given to someone who doesn’t have the mental fortitude or pre knowledge of situations. It all boils down to are you savage enough to defend yourself with your teeth, nails, forehead, etc. no matter what you have as a weapon, being unable to defend yourself mentally or physically will be too late if you treat self defense as a very rare possibility. I’ve lived in chicago, Milwaukee, San Francisco, Seattle and have never had to defend myself because of being AWARE of potential threats. Even when I was living on the streets, I never got caught up, again, by being aware.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.