Conestoga trailer lighting violations and citations question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WadeH, Feb 26, 2021.

1. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Both the wiring and the light fixtures in the front-top combo clearance/marker lights have been removed from the trailer. Because the lease company could not keep the lights in them working (because the plastic covers are broken as you can see), they cut the fixtures out--reasoning that it was better to not have the fixtures at all rather than have non-working fixtures (which is, I guess, a violation even if the fixtures are not technically required).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    It's actually two missing lights...the front-side marker light on each side. The entire lighting bracket has been cut off and the wiring removed from both sides. I think that might still be okay if the top marker lights were working, but they're not.

4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Top marker lights aren't required I'm pretty sure

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Aren't Connies considered flatbeds. I mean, they ARE flatbeds. And Flatbeds do not have those top lights. I don't think that the feds ever changed that when the Connies first came on the scene, or since either. IMO.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Incorrect. If you HAVE a light, it is supposed to work, if its not there, its not required to work (excepting required lighting, so front (amber) and rearmost (red) clearance lights, min 3 rear lights(red), minimum of 2 rearmost brake and tail lights. Center turn and marker lights (amber)

Whine all you want, its trivial to run new wire as long as you dont use indoor connectors and it will last 3 years unless the driver is a moron and messes with the wires.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    As I posted earlier, take a look at pictures of other roll tops and you will see the majority of them are lighted just like yours. The top lights aren’t required and if the bracket and everything is gone then you can’t get in trouble for not having a light that isn’t required in the first place. Most roll tops have a light on the front corner like yours and don’t have a front/side marker light or whatever you’re calling it. As long as you have a center turn and rear corner you’re fine. If you don’t want to work then just be honest about it instead of trying to create issues that aren’t there.

lester Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Keep in mind that you’re pulling a flatbed, not a curtain van. And yes some factory lights do have to be removed in order to put the tracks on each side for the roll top.

9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Didn’t read all the posts
    But getting a running light to work is pretty simple stuff

Just have the boss fix his sh&t

I have a 53’ conestoga
    5 lights factory each side
    Markers across the top bulkhead and corners
    Markers on lower bulkhead corners

All work

10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The issue is it’s a Ryder trailer and they removed all but the required lighting, as in bracket and everything is gone according to the OP. And he’s trying to say that there are two lights missing on the front corners that aren’t required to be there. So he’s not wanting to pull the trailer until the lights are put back where they used to be on the top corners and he wants what’s he’s calling a front/side marker light on the bottom front corner.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Thanks for clarifying
    Just skimmed over the posts

Long FLD Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.