Congratulations and welcome to the Stevens Transport family.

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by emm86, Nov 18, 2014.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Prime starts noobs off at .43 with fuel and safety bonuses on top of that. Oh and your training pay is $700 a week.
    I don't understand why people settle for low pay... hurts us all in the end.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Often, it's about more than just "pay." Personal preference plays into many of our decisions...Equipment, route structure, location, benefits, long-term plan. It's kind of like preferring Pepsi over Coke or Chevy over Ford.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    fieldchaser Thanks this.
  4. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    That depends on which area of the country you are. I'm in South Florida and they only hire teams out of here, and definitely NOT at .43 per mile.

5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    you'd be lucky to find out trucking job in South Florida, I moved out of there because trucking sucks down there

6. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    You probably went to some CDL mill like CDL schools or Metropolitan, or had a plethora of tickets, accidents and/or DUIs, so your options were limited.

Granted that there are companies with better offers than out of South Florida, but I happen to have 8 conditional employment offer letters, none of which require my relocation (Covenant, Werner, Schneider, Knight, Trans Am, Stevens, Prime and Roehl). In fact, Roehl has offered to fly me to my dispatched location to do my 3 weeks of OTR, then fly me back home for my 7 days off. In addition, two companies, Florida Beauty Express and Armellini, are already expecting me on December 19th. FBE has a "no forced dispatch" policy and both operate out of Miami. Armellini is the largest fresh cut flower in the nation and has been for the last 70 years. With either company I can make over 1,000.00 per week.

What kind of offers did you have before you graduated school?

7. emm86

emm86 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Just to give everyone an update...

I was due to start CDL training on Dec 1st... but about a week before that date even came, my brother started talking to me about trucking and decided to jump on the band wagon as well!

So... we decided to try going as a team. We were both in the Marines and can use the GI Bill, so we'll both be attending a local CDL training school at the cost of the GI Bill instead of Stevens paying for it. This came after much careful thought and talking back and forth.

I did contact Stevens ahead of time and let them know of our plans. Maybe we will still be hired by them; I don't know. But we're both using our GI Bill for the CDL training. So I'm not really officially going with Stevens anymore. But we'll see once we start training.

We're now both signed up for the same school that Stevens would have put us through (US Truck Driver Training School in Michigan), but it starts Dec 8th now.

Honestly, as a team we will most likely be looking elsewhere.

Stevens still has the best looking trucks, in my opinion. :)

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Wise choice and making good use of your assets. And if it doesn't work out going team with Stevens, there are many other choices for you. And you won't be obligated to any company.

emm86 and Emulsified Thank this.
  9. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Pity you don't live on this side of the state. I know the best CDL school in Michigan.

10. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    Good choice. And thank you and your brother for your service to our country.

Since youre in Michigan, check out Roehl. They pay way better than Stevens and they're more of a regional carrier than an all 48 operation. 3 weeks on, 7 days off.

Good luck in school!!

11. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Had a friend that Started at Roehl the same time I started at Stevens, I am still here, he is on his fourth company. He finally found one that he can live with and that he is happy working for.

He and I have different things that make us tick. We do the same job, we make about the same money, but I travel the country, he is home every night. We are both happy. In fact we will be having a few beers together tonight to celebrate our birthdays which are a week apart.

He is not even doing the same work be did at Roehl, he is doing what I am, hauling food.
    The point is, where you start is immaterial, it is where you start, where you end up is what matters. Maybe you are fortunate as I have been and are able to find a company that you can live with right out of the gate, or maybe you will be like Dave and bounce around a bit, there is actually a better chance of that, but the point is, you are not making a final decision, you are getting your foot in the door.

Pick a company that will get you rolling and in what you think will be your segment of the market, Flatbed, Tanker, Reefer, whatever, and try it out. Dave started in Flatbed with Roehl, now he delivers groceries to grocery stores. We all will find our niche if we stay with it, but 60-70% of those who enter trucking will not last a year. Keep this in mind when considering opinions and suggestion fo students and wannabes.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.