Congratulations and welcome to the Stevens Transport family.

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by emm86, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Kiltmedic

Kiltmedic Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Good luck, I plan on starting in Dallas in February 2015. Please let me know how they are treating you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. emm86

emm86 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    I arrived in Dallas and have been with Stevens since Sunday, which was day 1 of orientation, and its now Thursday night as I lay in my Americas Best Value Inn bed with my phone. Stevens is currently being "randomly audited" by the DOT so things are taking a bit longer than usual (so say the people in charge of us students).

So far in happy with Stevens. The info I got by browsing this forum has been accurate. Alliance is most definitely NOT being shoved down our throats. We had 1 guy give a class about it for about 15 minutes and that is it. The hotel is really not that bad. I heard horror stories before I got here. Breakfast is provided here at the hotel every morning, though it is cereal... Fruit loops or corn flakes. There is also apple and orange juice and coffee. Lunch is provided by Stevens. 2 days we had little Caesars pizza, once we had enchiladas with beans and rice, one was spaghetti with meatballs and salad, one was goulash (like hamburger helper), one was chicken with mashed potatoes and peas. Twice they provided dinner as well.

edit: Removed part about sleep apnea to provide better information on it later. Typing on my phone sucks.

When you come here, expect to start at 8am and finish at 10pm.

Right now I'm waiting for my final stamp of approval so I can be paired with a trainer. I'll try to provide more info and updates when I find time. Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Corporal_Clegg, fieldchaser and KMac Thank this.
  4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

WHAAA...? A 14-hour day?!?

Oh, wait...Just like a real trucking job!

Razorwyr, Corporal_Clegg and Floorguy1 Thank this.
  5. Floorguy1

Floorguy1 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Duluth MN
    i was thinking the same thing

Corporal_Clegg Thanks this.
  6. emm86

emm86 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    I hope you guys are not assuming I'm complaining. I'm just providing info for those who are planning on coming here after me. As a military veteran, 14 hour work days are nothing new to me.

Corporal_Clegg and Floorguy1 Thank this.
  7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

As were we. Many new drivers only see the 'sunny, daytime driving on dry uncongested freeways with soft music playing in the background' side of professional trucking. Life on the road is tough, as you will learn, no matter your background. Being exposed to some of the rigors right away is important.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  8. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    Im starting on monday as a student. At 53 and 15 years in food service 14 hr days arnt new to me. at least I dont have to be on my feet all day and having people yelling about orders.

KMac Thanks this.
  9. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good luck prowler! At least you can cook good for yourself in the truck!

KMac Thanks this.
  10. emm86

emm86 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Are you sure you start Monday? Quite a few people were late for our class because their recruiter told them orientation starts Monday. Orientation actually starts Sunday. However, if you're getting your CDL it may be different. I would double check.

11. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    yes im grtting my cdl. talked to them today and confermed monday. will be in hotel on sunday. Now they do have the people who dont have their permit show up on sunday for a study group. I got my permit last week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.