connex 3300 with fatboy amp

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mrdice, Oct 7, 2008.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    dude, did you fry my texas star??? :biggrin_2554:

Truckerjo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Going by what he said he had, which is a "Fat Boy 1x4", then he does not have a High Drive amp...1x4 amps are not High drive...

He needs to have his DK down to 1 to 2 w's for that box.

As for your TS sweet-16, If your just using your radio to drive it, then your probably not seeing all that box can do...Driving with a small 2-pill and that box will rock. Maybe not like a Fatboy or a Davemade, or some of the other custom built High performance amps Like Sure-Power, or Joker, or Bully Box's, but for starter amps, you can't beat those Texas Stars.

4. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    This is where the misunderstanding comes in.....

He said he should of got a 1X4 (blue)

And then says

He now he has a 4x2879 Hi drive to sell (red)

So he has a High Drive not a Low Drive..

And yes I have a Sweet 16 pushed by a Galaxy 95T2
    The 95T2 alone does a 100+ dead key and swings 150-160W.. It drives the sweet 16 very well...

5. thetez

thetez Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2006

no, no worries, its still working great... so ive been told.... it was sent with a faulty coax, and for soem idiotic reason i didnt try a new one i assumed it wasnt working all that well, and sold it to a friend.... then got real upset when i found out it was still working.... im still kicking myself.

6. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep! Galaxy 95t2 should drive a sweet-16 just fine...

As for what he has...OK. he has the 4-pill HD...But, who ever he's talking to is still telling him a load-of-bull...

He says his radio (Connex 3300HP...Dual Final Radio) won't drive it, because he needs a 40w DK to drive the 4-pill, which is totally false...If you were to DK 40w's into a 4-pill, I can promise you it won't last 5 muinites...HD or not!
    Wrong!

A 4-pill HD amp can take a DK of maybe 4 or 5w's max...Any more than that, and you won't have it long...

The Texas Star 500V can handle a 4-5w DK, any more than that, and it's history...Same thing here.

He could run that box with the radio he has just fine, and will still see all the maximum watts that is possible with the amp, which should be around 500w's (give or take)...1x4, he may see 800w's (give or take) But regardless if he uses the 4 pill he has now, or opts for the 1x4 that may do 300 more watt's, who ever he's talking to wont notice any difference in his signal...Now if he were to move up to something like a 2x8, then whoever he's talking to, would notice the difference in Power...(provided he has enough power to run a 2x8 )

7. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    That I agree with.... His radio should work just fine with it the Fatboy... Somebody is not giving him correct information... Thats why I suggested looking up steelrod website and call them guys.. I see whistler is no longer at steelrod... His health has not been that great... I hope he is okay.. But the guy with the funny looking beard is pretty good as well... He has been with whistler for many many years.. (around 20 years) So, I hope he gets in contact with somebody that knows what they are doing... Thats the problem with most CB shops anymore... They always trying to sell you something new... Taking advantage of these new guys that have no clue..

8. HankSterling

HankSterling Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace,FL
    I have virtually the same set up. The 3300HP I have has a hi-lo RF Pwr switch. I have the hi set to maximise the radio finals and the low is set at 4W and it rips. I could not be more pleased. As far as 40W DK I have torched many fuse forgetting to flip the Hi_Lo switch when using the Kicker.

9. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    I run a 3300hp that has was purchased, tuned and peaked by clay's raido shop out of texas and I can assure you that I have NO need for an amp.

10. BOOTYMONSTER

BOOTYMONSTER Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    RICHMOND VA.
    "
    And yes I have a Sweet 16 pushed by a Galaxy 95T2
    The 95T2 alone does a 100+ dead key and swings 150-160W.. It drives the sweet 16 very well..."

i hope youre not putting a 100 watt deadkey into a sweet 16 .
    have you tried using a 40 watt deadkey when barefooted and modulating to 160 ?

heres some info on the sweet 16 .

Texas Star 1600:

AM operation: 4 watts input will produce approximately 175 watts with plenty of
    swing. To increase power output, use a modulator and adjust output on the modulator
    to no more than 30 watts. 30 watts is maximum input for AM operation. A guideline for
    any installation is to increase AM power until it begins to sound distorted, then
    decrease it slightly. 30 watts input will produce approximately 850 watts output.
    Modulators are made for AM use only- never SSB.

SSB operation: Turn on SSB delay switch. Any radio or amplifier used to drive this unit
    should be class AB biased with an output of no more than 150 watts. 12 watts input will
    produce approximately 450 watts output. 100 watts input will produce 1600 watts PEP
    output as long as 13.8 VDC is maintained during keydown and the antenna is 50
    ohms. if 13.8 VDC is maintained but output is low, connect output to 50 ohm dummy
    load and test again. All Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom transceivers can run output directly
    into this unit.

FM operation: This unit will accept up to 100 watts FM input. Keep transmissions to
    less than 30 seconds.

4 watts in avg > 175 watts avg out at 48 amps current draw
    10 watts in avg > 450 watts avg out at 72 amps current draw
    20 watts in avg > 700 watts avg out at 92 amps current draw
    50 watts in avg > 1000 watts avg out at 115 amps current draw
    100 watts in avg > 1250 watts avg out at 125 amps current draw

installation: Use #2 electrical cable or two #6 wires in parallel to connect each
    positive and negative lead directly to the battery. A second battery next to the unit
    will help to keep the voltage up. Use RG-8U or RG-213U coax to connect output to the
    antenna. Do not use RG-58U coax.

optional fan kit: plugs into the rear of the unit. the fans will turn on automatically
    at 115 degrees fahrenheit and shut off at 110 degrees.

Additional Note: for absolute best performance and longevity, (dependability and reliability)
    configure your drive levels and peak-to-carrier for anywhere from 1.5:1 to 4:1 (depending
    on how you're measuring power, average or pep) and maintain heatsink temperature below 110
    degrees fahrenheit. if you plan on completely ignoring this recommendation then i heartily
    suggest that you purchase the fan kit. you'll need it.

use a external meter thandle at least 3000 watts and see what your radio will make the amp swing . 1000-1200 watts is gonna be the sweet spot for cleanest power without overheating the amp or making it splatter/bleed . if your got another 300 or 400 watts out of it wont be as clean and even if it were you wouldnt tell the difference .
    set your radios deadkey to about %25 of what it swings . 250-300 modulating 1000-1200 of clean ab biased watts should be pretty smooth .

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.