Consequences for First HOS Violation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bobcat13, May 13, 2019.

1. Bobcat13

Bobcat13 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Saginaw, Michigan
    So I screwed the pooch today

I haul tanker, and was going to a customer that I have been to multiple times before. The last couple times everything went right on the trip, and I was able to make it to a TA that is directly across the street from the customer. Surprisingly, this TA had ample amount of parking even later at night each time I was there.

This time was another one of those times, and I pulled into the TA with 15 minutes left on my clock when I went on-duty. I got fuel, and pulled around to look for a spot, and found the place chock full. After crawling around the lot for a bit hoping a spot would open up, I decided to go across the street to the customer, which they had ok’ed last time I was there when I asked them.

When I pulled out of the TA, my clock still read 15 minutes as our logbooks usually don’t pick up drive time until I maintain above 10mph or so, so I figured I had plenty of time to wheel over to the customer without getting a violation. As I pulled into the customer’s lot, my clock suddenly jumped from 15 minutes to -5 minutes, and gave me a violation.

My questions are:

1) Is driving around a truck stop considered drive time? Our safety manager has specifically stated that we are not allowed to use the “yard move” provision for fuel stops to drive while on-duty, only at shippers and receivers.

2) This is my first violation, and I am in good standing with the company otherwise. What kind of repercussions am I looking at?

Thank you in advance.

tinytim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Sounds like a learning experience. Every company is different but I imagine safety/logs might want to go over it with you. 5 minutes shouldn't be a big deal though.

Learn how your elog works. When we switched to them I got caught like that once. I didn't go over my time but it converted a bunch of what should have been on duty time to driving time. If you manually switched it to drive time for the drive across the road it probably wouldn't taken the time you were in the ts and changed it all to drive time.

Lots of different systems and lots of ways they can be setup though so I could be wrong. Safety/logs should be able to let you know how yours works.

booley and Bobcat13 Thank this.
  4. Bobcat13

Bobcat13 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Saginaw, Michigan
    I thought of that, but unfortunately our elogs don’t allow manually changing to driving anymore, only automatic.

tinytim Thanks this.
  5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Should not be any, just explain you were doing a move around the truckstop, you should be able to add a note to the logging software indicating the same. Just depends on how the software is setup by your safety guy, and the company. When I was working for Whole Foods I would run from tucson back up to the pilot in eloy az like 35 miles away, When I worked for Valley Bulk he came unglued for moving the truck at all, so just depends on the comapny.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Just tell them what happened. You'll be ok. You are not the first one they will have seen do this. Won't be the last either.

booley Thanks this.
  7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    For aobr there is a drive threshold that can be set. Once a driver hits that threshold - 1/2 mile/35 mph/whatever - the aobr will switch to the driveline from the FIRST movement .

For example:
    • Driver turns on truck @ 1400
    • Driver releases brakes @ 1405
    • Driver pulls out of his parking spot @1410
    • Driver waits for (insert whichever mega you hate) to back into a spot
    • Driver finally pulls out of the truck stop and hits the threshold at 1430.
    • Log puts driver on line 3 as of 1410.
    Now if the driver had cycled the ignition at any point, it would have reset where the drive line would start. Its why you ALWAYS shut the truck off at the guard shack.

alds, booley, Farmerbob1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    You could've used "Personal Conveyance". You would've been perfectly legal. You can even use it if your ran down on your 14 in the negative.

booley and skellr Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    In what scenario?
    Answer 3 would be the closest, but it's not legal in this situation. One simply cannot go PC to go to the delivery location.

And if you are going to quote the safe location rule, that specifies going from a shipper/receiver, that has no parking. Not going to one.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  10. Mark Falcone

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    It depends was he loaded or not loaded? If he was loaded then your right. I was under the assumption he was empty.

11. Mark Falcone

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    You would've never went negative if you would've waited an extra 5 minutes before you moved again to clear the last move on the ELD

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.