Considering Jumping In ... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Tuckster, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Tuckster

Tuckster Light Load Member

May 12, 2008
    Hanover, Va
    I've been reading the threads and have gathered some good info but I need advice. I'm an older guy in Virginia (Richmond), have 10 years CDL A experience (not much in last 3 years tho), had my own authority (which I can reinstate). Should I go the 2/3 car hauler route or think bigger ?? It looks to me the price of a used semi is similar to the price of these trucks pulling cars. The semi has a sleeper and the motor will last me a lot longer. I know there are advantages/disadvantages like ease of maneuvering with a smaller setup but I'm mainly interested in availabilty of loads and which pay the best. I don't mind long distance runs so the sleeper would be nice but is the smaller/local operation more attractive ?? All suggestions/advice appreciated.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Do yourself a favor and try this industry before you buy. Get hired on with a large company that trains carhaulers and also has owner ops. Then when you know what you are doing and if you still like hauling cars buy you a carhauler. Do not buy any size carhauler without experience hauling cars. The people I know that have done the 3 car don’t do it anymore. I don’t personally know if it’s profitable or not, but it wouldn’t suit me.

4. Tuckster

Tuckster Light Load Member

May 12, 2008
    Hanover, Va
    Appreciate the reply. My insurance lady just told me it would be higher hauling cars than a dry van ??? I can't sign on with a company because I don't want to run hard. If I could net $30/40,000/year, I would be OK. That's why I'm reactivating my MC (authority). Staying independent lets me run when I want to. No company I know will put up with that.
    Again, thanks for the help

Mooseontheloose and Banker Thank this.
  5. frankdtank

frankdtank Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Everything the other guy said... and some :)

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  6. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    I dont know anything about Hotshot ..if You lease your Truck to a company as an owner operator you should be able to run the way you want to ..I would seriously consider a single axel truck with a sleeper and Small Diesel ..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.