Considering schnieder, read first!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by chuckles16201, Oct 5, 2007.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Don't know much about Schneider, but I do know that I like to look good and feel proud of the equipment I drive. I could never do that driving a Pumpkin colored truck, no matter how good the company was. Sorry

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Electra

Electra Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I hope this will help the up and coming drivers to the "Pumpkin Patch".
    I have been driving since 1993, and this is the 7th company I have driven for. Eventhough, the minor problems will always arise, I feel like I should send this message out to all old, new, or upcoming drivers to this company. I have been driving for little over a year for Schneider.

I am a numbers person, and I track everything. I am out here to turn the wheels, to make money. Schneider National was not too bad of a company until I started investigating more into what I was not getting paid for....

The first problem is the idle time. I figured out that my idle IS my bonus. I will idle the truck for I can be refreshed and not sleep deprived. Being too hot, or being too cold is a major issue, and I feel that I am entitled as much as they are when they go home and set their thermastats.

The next problem is the Out Of Route Miles. I am a stickler to getting as close as I can to the paid miles, no matter if I get a bonus or not, due to the fact, I do not like working for free.....

The next is the performance. Not a problem!

First off, I would like to express that I have tried several different avenues within the company before deciding to post on here. Even though few listened, they did nothing to "FIX" the problem at hand, and have swept everything under the rug....

Wait till you here this.....

The Out Of Route:::: I have tried to figure out why my out of route is so high. I have written and tracked every mile. With Schneider they want you to be under 10%. My tracking shows me to be way under 10%, but they have me up over 26%.

Here is the deal:
    1. I was told that they start tracking you from beginning of the load to the end of the load,...PERIOD!
    Not So:::
    FACT: If you are paid 6 miles to Bobtail from point A to point B, and you actually drive 14 miles, this is actually 133.3%.....
    If you then are paid 43 miles and you actually drive 46 miles, that is actually 7%,
    If then you are paid loaded miles 855, and you actually drive 862 miles, that is actually .82%......
    ***Then they add the percentages up and divide the 3, to get your 47.04% out of route,...... Yes, that is correct, 47.04%...........***
    EVENTHOUGH, the mileage on the truck from start to finish only actually showed driving a total of 922 miles, and the paid miles are 904,... that is actually suppose to be 2% out of route.....

This is for only 1 load,...... Imagine adding up all those loads,.... You will never believe it,....

2. Something that nobody knows until they DON"T GET PAID FOR IT!!!
    If you are scheduled for TAH< Time At Home>.... Please keep in mind that you DON'T EVER WANT TO BOBTAIL HOME! They do not pay you for the Equip Dispatch Bobtailing home,.... So far I have lost out of almost 500 miles,... what would DOT think about this if I got in an accident while not getting paid? This is the same as having to work 5 hrs overtime, but not getting paid at all for those 5 hrs..... Always have a trl, no matter what, or don't move the truck....

3. Schneider is now more concerned about the loads then the driver. I have expressed that the truck is way over due for a PM, and that there is exhaust coming up into the truck, that I have oil dripping, and the truck needs to be fixed. GREEN BAY plus the DBL decided that the load is more important and that the load has now been enforced, and they have released the trk at an OC, WITHOUT GETTING FIXED,... it is all documented....
    What do you think,... Safetly Issue?

Everytime I am not getting miles paid for something, they always have an excuse, as if the rule was just made.... I would like to have a list given to me as to what I am not going to be getting paid for.....

There has been several attempts since summer to have a pow wow with our DBL (Dispatchers), but evidently, they don't have time.... Which tells me that there is NOT an OPEN DOOR POLICY.

It is really sad to know that I would do anything to get the load there on time, have not had a late load yet, stay within the DOT regulations on my log book, I do not complain, I accept every load that I get, and will try to cheer anyone up when I call in, or walk in, so that they feel more comfortable answering the next phone call,.... I try to look for ways to save the company money, as far as fuel prices, or maintenance issues,.. etc, etc,.... I follow the rules, why don't they?

And I would all like to hear your opinion on "Rosie" the weekend warrior,... I know she is well known within the Pumpkin Drivers as the "Hang Up" girl,.. when we hear it is her, we Hang UP!

Electra

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  4. Alamosa14

Alamosa14 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2007
    CT
    Electra-Well written honest insider account of working for a large company. I did have the big pumpkin on my short list of possible company's but quickly decided they were not a good fit for me personally. It really stinks to give your all for them but apparently the lines of communication are a one way street? The trucks that I have seen recently in my area have looked very poorly maintained and disgustingly dirty to say the least. Thanks for the information and best of luck in the future.

Take Care,

5. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    That was a great post. I had the problems with my last company May Trucking) on IDLE time.

They give you a bonus of $1.50 a hour for anything under 30% idle time so the first 2 weeks I worked their I did not idle anywhere just to test out what kind of bank I would make on the bonus. My idle time was like 4.75% so I asked them how this was since I did not Idle at all? I found out that once the truck stops rolling that I was being charged for idle time. In traffic, backing in a dock ,stuck at a light , it did not matter, I was being charged.

Then I went to Pheonix and spent the night and had to idle and was told they would only allow for 7hours of overidle even though you have to take a 10hr break. If you go over idle they charge you like $2.50 a hour for all hours over 30% and if you have a heater for the winter it's 10%.

My friend was charged over $100 dollars one month for over idle even though he drives CA regional and has no APU.

When I asked them why they paid out $1.50 for every hour under 30% which is more like 25% becuase you will have around 5% no matter what you do. Yet charged you $2.50 over 30% all they could say was thats just how it is done. :biggrin_25512:

6. Electra

Electra Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, it is not so much the idle time with me, but I am sure glad that they don't charge for it,.. RIGHT NOW! I am sure with all the changes that are arising that will be next on that long list of why they don't want us to idle.

The problem with all those trucks is that they ordered a whole lot of brand new trucks and were putting all the new drivers in them. They are now in the process of selling alot of the older trucks, and alot of the older drivers are leaving, which scares me. I worked for North American Van Lines way back when they had the dry van division, and this is the same thing that happened that put them into bankruptcy. I think we had like 3 days to get all the trucks and loads back to Fort Wayne, IN, for them to send out.

Schneider has hired 3-4 top executives that have worked for other top trucking companies, and they seem to be weeding out employees, of which alot fo them have had alot of experience with the company.

For the record, I am not coming down on the training school, they are actually awesome, but that is totally a different part of the company. They are truely a wonderful school, my advise would be to find a company that you want to work for, have them set up a payment plan to work for them for a certain amount of time (alot of trucking companies will do this), and have them pay for you to go through the school. Schneider knows this goes on, but you don't want to say anything about it.

I actually went to NTTS (National Tractor Trailer School) in Syracuse, NY back in 1992-1993. They are actually about the same amount $3500, but it is for 3 months. They take it slower for you for you to actually become a better rookie, and will definitely teach the ins and outs of which Schneider seems to miss. (This is just my personal opinion).

The other thing is that Schneider is now "Outsourcing" to another country. Alot of the Macros that go through the QualCom is now sent overseas,.... worried yet?

Well, here is another thing to worry about, Nobody had explained this to us, they actually just changed it without telling anyone: If you deliver a load that does not go to the city or OC (Operating Center) or the drop lot that you park your truck, and you have to "Bobtail" home for your TAH (Time At Home), you do not get paid for the miles, yet you have to log it. If you take an empty trailer with you, you will get paid the miles, but you will not get paid for the BT (Bobtail) miles.

Not sure who I will be heading over too, but I will definitely be asking a whole lot of questions before I do,... and will probably head back to a smaller company with less chance of change....

7. pat386

pat386 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Colorado
    To stick up for your employer means you are brainwashed by them?

Half the bashing of Schneider is hardly Schneider's fault, yet people are so quick to point the blame.

You quit school because your wife couldn't carry a box? That's Schneider's fault because........?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  8. wndctyboy

wndctyboy Bobtail Member

May 22, 2007
    Chicago
    My self as well I can confirm what Mom and Dad experience with Schneider. I went to 1 week class in Green Bay, in May '08 , because I had 4 months prior experience with another company. It's true, from 72 students that we start the class only 15 made it to final and here is why. Many of them did not pass the physical test that SNI will put you on first day at the school. some of them did not pass some of the written exams and most of them did not pass the final driving test after the school. Because I apply in Bulk division I had 15 more extra written tests to pass and some with 100% score, all others must pass with 80-90% score. That was really hard. I was sure that I will not make it to the end but I did some how. Their school program is excellent, much better than I tought, everyone is very professional, I think every truck company should folow their trainning system, it's the best. Not only that we stay in nice hotel, free breakfast, we had lunch paid by Schneider and 400$/week 317$ after taxes.
    After school you have to get road training anywhere from 3 to 15 days based on your experience and how well you perform.
    After training I had to wait 10 days until I got my own truck, but i got paid 80$/day sitting home.
    About road emergency; they give you specific procedures, first make sure you are safe on side of the road and than contact company, via qualcom is the fastest but most new drivers don't now how to use it properly, phone it may take a long time because many drivers call emergency maintenance for stupid stuff. I had twice road emergency and they showed up under 2 hrs.
    When they hired me I was told I will start at .37c/mile and after first week I notice I was paid only 34c/mile but that was fixed with a quick phone call to payroll dept.
    I am very happy with Schneider, I strongly recommended for newbies like my self and experienced drivers, now after 6 months i get paid 41c/mile, and I get weekly 2500-3200 miles. You can drive legally ONLY, no messing with the logbook. You only get loads when you have legal hrs to drive, You get plenty of time to deliver your loads and if you move well they keep you very busy. Driving a tank it's been a greet experience so far, you have to be very alert and safe because liquids are "funny" in a bad way to put it. Driving tanks is not for everyone, there is some physical work when loading and unloading, getting hoses hooked, climbing on top of the trailer, if you apply all the safety rules they teach you in class and training you will be safe and you will enjoy the job. I will not go back to drive a reefer or dry van ever again.
    Like someone else mention early, Schneider is not for everyone. Sorry for those of you did not make it well. Good luck to all of you.

9. Wheat Light

Wheat Light Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    I drove for Schneider back in 2005-2007. I enjoyed my experience. I had been married for about a month when I left my wife and went to Green Bay for 2 weeks, then Gary, IN for a week. I knew what I was getting into from the beginning as far as the lifestyle goes, my dad has been driving since before I was born.

I loved the training and accommodations in Green Bay. I jumped on a shuttle van from St. Louis to get my ride up there (at the time I lived in So. IL). I met a really nice guy and we hit it off pretty quick. Ended up when we got to Green Bay we were placed as room mates. Worked out really well. We requested to bunk together in Gary also.

They were long days sometimes, but if you had to stay till 9 PM, you didn't have to come in till noon. This only happened if you had 3 people with the same instructor. You'd show up at noon, go to the class, then at 4 or so you'd get in the truck with the instructor and do your driving. I didn't go through the pre-physical so I don't know how that is.

I wanted to drive over the system instead of the Wal-Mart dedicated near my house. I just wanted to get out and see the country. My Training Engineer was a dedicated Wal-Mart driver, so we did that for two weeks. At the end of my training I decided I wanted to stay on pulling Wal-Mart loads.

For the first 4-6 weeks I had to slip seat through all the junk trucks. At that time we had a lot of old Crete trucks. Red and everything. I hated those trucks. They finally assigned my my own truck, and it was one of the better ones. At first loads and miles were good. I got lost a couple times, then learned to ask the more experienced drivers at my DC for directions since they knew where all the stores were.

In January of 06 they gave me a load going south of Indianapolis, IN and a backhaul picking up North of Indy. Pretty good ways apart. I thought that was weird. About half way to my store, they told me to swing by the Indy OC to get my truck. What? Yep. Brand new truck. Had 24 miles on it when I got it. It was a flat-top, but it had plenty of room in my opinion. Had cabinets and such. Even a place for a TV.

I personally never had to stay in the truck at night too much. I never slept at the DC. I lived 25 miles away so I drove home if I made it there. I'd say I spent maybe 3 out of 5 nights that I worked in the truck. I worked a 5 on and 2 off schedule.

The dispatchers and workers at my Wal-Mart DC were pretty good. The shop would get on something real fast if it needed it. Most of the time I would have all my work done while I was on my weekend. I never had a problem.

I quit Schneider to drive a local route. Home every night. You couldn't do much better.

As far as the miles when I quit, they were getting worse. Wal-Mart was adding 2 or 3 product types to the DC, so output was supposed to go up like 60%. But my stupid TOM decided to hire 60% more drives 3 months before we started the new freight. He was a jerk, but he only worked there the last 3 months I was there. Someone told me he got fired.

All in all, I would recommend Schneider to a new driver. I told my wife before I ever went to Green Bay that I had to stick it out for a year NO MATTER WHAT! I wasn't going to pay them for my schooling. I lasted a year and a half. I might go back to them if I lived near a DC again. They got me home a lot more often than the system would.

Best part of the DC was the guys that drove with me. They were great. I still have friends that drive there, but they say their miles are doing a lot better.

Dna Mach Thanks this.
  10. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    For schooling it's now a 2 yr commitment for tuition to be free -that is a long time to "stick it out"

However pay is better now. I made 26cpm (24 with per diem) and with the lower freight levels now that would be tough. I think that pay closer to 30 Cpm now and that is fair for starters.

Had some students at the Charlotte OC the other day. Maybe experienced drivers- but looked like newbs to me.

11. bowmeyer1

bowmeyer1 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    this is the type of crap im talking about, people shouldnt have to go thru this stuff after going thru school and receiving your CDL. my list of fly by night companies seems to be growing... we cant all work for a union company so what do you do?:biggrin_25510:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.