Container Drivers?? What's it like?

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by AnthonyM757, Feb 17, 2017.

1. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Looks like their hiring for Container drivers where I'm located (chesapeake)

I've almost got a year under my Belt and I'm looking to move on to OD..

Just a question for those in OD

1. What are the hours like?

2. How often will I be home?

3. What's the pay?

4. Is it basically just drop and go?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Hopefully a container guy/gal will chime in for the container side. I will speak for the company only for I am line haul. That being said, you can not go wrong coming to ODFL. The hours are long but the pay is good the benefits are exceptional and they treat you well. The drivers that are not home every night/day are those who choose to be out. So, my guess is that you will be home every day. Also, the trick is just to get hired. Once on you can switch around from one position to another if there are openings.

I have been here 6 months now and am very happy.

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  4. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    About a month ago I sent an email to Old Dominion inquiring about a container drayage driver in position in Wando, SC.

These were my questions:

Hi, I am inquiring about the container drayage company driver position in Wando, SC. I have some questions:

- What is the average pay for Container Drayage Company Drivers? Is it Hourly, Mileage or Percentage?

- The trucks are daycabs or sleepercabs? What kind of transmission? Manual or automatic?

- Does Old Dominion has its own chassis?

- What are the average hours per week?

- Is that possible to go home some nights during the week and off on the weekends?

- Does Old Dominion offer other benefits?

Yours truly...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then they answered one week later:

Average pay will vary depending on assigned location.

All tractors assigned to the container division are Sleepers. There is some utilization of day cabs during maintenance and cross over periods.

ODFL has over 400 of its own chassis

Depends on available freight.

Home most nights unless you are hired to slip seat in the evenings. The vast majority of runs are day trips.

Yes – Full time employees are offered medical, dental and vision insurance. There is also a 401K program that you can participated in.

Please call if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Jeff Jones
    Manager - Container Drayage Recruitment

Blue4ever and AnthonyM757 Thank this.
  5. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Very tight parking a lot of times. Time spent looking for empties or assigned trailers. Chassis can be bad and reporting them takes time out. Overloaded axles on trailers from cross-towners not scaling.

Those are the issues with intermodal and rail yards. I don't know if that's the same as "container drayage".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.