Contract Freighters, Inc. (CFI) - Joplin, Mo.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by scarecrow56, Jan 25, 2007.

1. scarecrow56

scarecrow56 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2006
    palm bay, fl.
    hey folks!

Its been a while. I got passed my training at crowder college and did my 7500 miles. What they said about most everything has been true for the most part. I got sick and tried to get back to the Joplin terminal to go to the doc but they wouldnt get me there. I ended up going to the VA hospital in Detroit.

Everything else is cool. I got a brand nwe truck with 72k on it and less than a year old. Gotta go. wILL POST THIS WEEKEND WHEN i GET Home for 4 days. Gatta eat! Later!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scarecrow56

Oct 31, 2006
    palm bay, fl.
    So I'm back home for a few days and better able to post. I believe I made a very good choice in CFI. With very few little things, they didnt lie to me. Most all was true. The trainer did not sleep behind the student and so did not run as a team. Altho he did start his 14 clock at the same time and so when my time was up, he would finish his clock so we pretty much ran 14 hours with the exception of whatever stops I made. My trainer was very patient and never got mad, never insulted me or was rude so I guess I lucked out. I guess he did too 'cuase Im Irish and disrespect will only go so far with me, job be hanged!

I had heard stories of other trainers that werent so agreeable but then again thats hearsay. Cant comment on what I dont know.

I still say that CFI has the best program out there for a newbie. The mere fact that they pay .26 cnts mile during training instead of a flat rate should be proof enough. When we went to NE we did have to split NE pay.

As far as the horror stories about how 2/3 of the classes get cut and have to get the greyhound home go. I did not find that to be true. Much to the contrary. of our class of 12 we lost 2. 1 because of a failed drug test. To that I say this. If you are not serious about this job, dont bother. If youre going to try to just slide by, why did you bother trying at all? This is a serious business that doesnt tolerate getting high. Stop doing whatever it is that you're doing 3 to 4 months before you ever try to get in the door and that should be the end of your entertainment as long as you drive a CMV.
    Im not a crusader and not trying to be a know it all. I am a new driver that knows NOTHING! But I do know this. If your gonna do this, you need to get serious about it or you might as well stay home and do something else. What a waste of that young mans time to go thru school, graduate, get his class A, go to Mo., go thru 1/2 a week of school and then get sent home! Just because he didnt get serious!

The other driver actually asked to be let go because she couldnt drive! She spent 5k at a driving school who gave her a class A, and she couldnt shift, back up or navigate turns. I would be getting in touch with my states attornies office the day I got home!

One other driver did get cut but that was after his 7500 mile training. The way I heard it he wouldnt or couldnt do the paperwork and the qualcom so his trainer failed him. But then again, hearsay.

So all that fear and stress I built up before going there was unfounded. Some people like to sensationalize.

Altho he was one of the nicest people I had ever met, My trainer did, IMHO, use poor judgement more than once tho. He jackknifed the rig on I80 in Iowa because,IMHO, he wanted to get to Las Vegas early and did several things wrong. #1 He left the truckstop too early before the blackice was melted or salted. I would'nt have left for at least 3 or 4 more hours. we had at least 16 hours to spare. #2 He was going way too fast. 40 to 45 mph when other trucks were jackknifeing at 20 to 25 mph.
    When crashed the tractor ended up in the eastbound granny lane and he was able to pull the trailor out of the meridian. We were going west. If another truck was coming down that icy hill he would have come into our passenger door.
    #3 He didnt pay attn to the conditions. I80 in Iowa looked like a junkyard. There were at least 75 cars and at least 6 to 8 big rigs jacked so he shoulda been a little more patient, IMHO.

Still think its the best opp. for a newbie.

Good luck!!

4. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    good luck out on the road and be careful........................

5. MNHillyBilly

MNHillyBilly Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    :biggrin_2551:

:biggrin_2554:

:biggrin_2555:

:biggrin_25521:

Your optimism is quite impressive!

6. scarecrow56

Oct 31, 2006
    palm bay, fl.
    Thanks, I think?
    I feel that, like useing the Smith's system, if you look at the big picture then you will see that this opp. is very good. The fact that he jacked the rig is just a small pebble on the big road, Grasshopper. He is one driver out of about 2400.
    He has lost his training status so he wont be training for at least 100k miles if he ever gets back to it. He's lucky to have not lost his job as a jack at CFI is grounds for dismissal.
    But I wouldnt condemn the whole program and company for one persons bad judgement. If you newbies check out thier program I think you will be interested also.
    Thier safety program is very good. They teach the Smith system before you go out.They do watch your logs and trip planning and if your having trouble they will bring you back for instruction. About the only gripe I have so far is that I have left 3 messages for my dispatcher to call me and he has yet to do so. So I may just put in for a new dispatcher. I beleive he is foolish to not call back because they make part of thier money off drivers so more drivers=more money. If I get upset and leave him, it's his loss.
    So I'm getting ready to go back out. 4 days home goes very fast.Home time is a little meager. 1 off for evry 7 out and you must do at least 10 days before you cant highlight for home and then they have 5 days to get you there. I think I will get some xperiance here and then try to get something like a weeek out and wkends off. Who knows.
    Good luck out there.Be carefull!

7. MNHillyBilly

MNHillyBilly Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    No, of course not. That story did give me a chuckle. Must of been a few red faces in the training department, to go along with their trucks. :biggrin_2559:

They are still in my top 3. One clown does not a circus make.

Thanks for taking the time to post. It is much appreciated!

8. easyrider

easyrider Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Cowtown, USA
    I agree a lot of this stress is about horror stories is unfounded. If you read some of these post it gets really hard to believe every thing they are saying. Before I chose deBoer I was nervous as ####. Now I know that's just one company but just sitting at truckstops listening to the B.S that other drivers tell will make you a disbeliever quickly. I mean take these some of these threads, drivers have one horrible thing happen after another and it never seems to stop. Sometimes people just like to embelish there stories just to get attention. Any way enough venting, my dad drives for C.F.I and has so for many years. He likes it, has had very few problems.

9. detroitpages

detroitpages Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Melvindale, Mi
    This is true - or was when I started a year ago

They paid for the ticket but it wasn't first class - not even sure they have a first class, you can also fly to joplin but they will only pay what the bus ticket would have cost.

Nope - Booneslick Lodge - actually was a pretty nice place and had a pool too and a walmart nearly across the street.

yep thats true

true also - they put it on your atm card and you can withdraw what you need, what ever is not withdrawn will be added to your paycheck next pay period.

I wouldn't say full medical insurance, the current insurance plan is actually the crappiest plan I have ever seen.

you get dental insurance after one year - it too cost money and has several limits on it also.

This is true, the 12yo limit is probably for insurance purposes

plus they pay you 1 cent per mile less for a pet - but they add it to your safty bonus

you get paid loaded or empty, you are paid their dispatched miles and not actual miles, its usually less miles dispatched than actually driven, even their recommended directions on the qualcomm isn't the paid dispatched miles., some are illegal routes as they use something like streets and trips to determine the shortest route, there have been a number of times I made it in under the dispatched miles.

True - but only if your safe :biggrin_25525:

This is true also but only if you refer experienced drivers

Probably true - but what did the bottom driver make and the top driver probably never went home or lived near the w. memphis or laredo terminal, also the who you know factor.

I guess I'm not average, was more in the 30's for me.

Probably then but I'm sure its not now.

yes they do but most ne runs are 400 miles.

this has changed as all new drivers are required to have hazmat and required to do Canada.

yep - 1 day off each week and can accumilate, although don't take more than 2 weeks off at a time as they will reassign your truck.

Its now 10 days, was 14, you can highlight after 10 days otr and they will try to get you home within 8 days.

Mine had over 400k on it and now has over 500k - thats changed too

I think thats changed also - but not sure.

If you want more home time your not going to make any money. I would go regional but I live in the NE and I don't like driving the east side of the country.

Alot has changed since the original poster posted.

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I was with CFI for most of the '90's, and was a trainer for them for about 5 of those years. I noticed a gradual slide in the quality of them over that time and then had to move on in '99. Talked with a couple of their drivers recently at a Target DC in Lawrence, KS and was not regretful I had left. They are not a bad company, better than most. But for someone who has a solid track record and years of experience, there is a lot of better opportunities (at least when the economy is not so bad). After nearly 3 decades at this game, I cannot understand how ANY company can keep a driver away from the house more than 7-10 days. Shows a lack of proper freight planning. Since I left CFI I have averaged 15,000 miles more a year than I ever got with them and am home all but a couple of weekends a year.

They were always a real good company for startup drivers. I always felt when I was there that the trainers were top notch, except for a couple of idiots. I was in on the beginnings of the training program that was started there by Cliff Miller. If they have retained a lot of what he set up, it should still be a solid training program. I can remember when Herb Schmidt was a young and upcoming safety director (and a lot of stories how he would be out trying to run triple digits in a Pete when he was still a young driver... though I doubt that he would admit it now). But he might smile if someone brought it up to him.

I do feel that regional work with some other carriers is more productive and allows better home time. I left CFI, running all 48 and Canada, and have been doing upper Midwest regional for 10 years now, and have done far better on miles and revenue than I could ever get at CFI, and home WAY more than I could have ever been with CFI. But it is a matter of the customer base and how the loads are planned. After CFI built the new building they are in now back in the mid '90's, they seemed to let drivers fall thru the cracks more than when they were in their original building.

I would pick them over Swift, Schneider, etc. if I was a startup driver. I wouldn't pick any carrier over 500 trucks if a well seasoned driver. But that's me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.