Converted e450 for hotshotting?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Apr 23, 2019.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I'm looking at a 2010 E450 cab & chassis that I'd like to put a sleeper on to use as a hot shot truck. I'm curious if anyone has run a van based chassis before and if there is any reason it would not be as good as a truck?

Reason I'm looking at the E450 is because I want a pre-DPF truck and I want a actual sleeper not a back seat. The E450 was the only chassis to not go to the 6.4 diesel from Ford. Meaning the 2010 I'm looking at has a pre-dpf 6.0 engine. I'd much rather get a 6.0 and bulletproof it vs spending 50 grand on a DPF truck hence the reason I want to go this route.

Anyone know any reason I should stay away from the van chassis vs a truck chassis? I will be hauling a 40ft flatbed and the van cab & chassis is roughly the same wheelbase as a F350/450/550 crew cab log bed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Look for the gear ratio. If the vehicle was an ambulance it is most likely geared too low for long time highway use.

singlescrewshaker, Lite bug and crocky Thank this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Good point, if I go that route I can change out the rear end gear set so it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but that's a good tip I didn't think about.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's a company in Nashville, TN that builds kits with sleepers for heavy duty pickup trucks.
    lilbigrig
    www.lilbigrig.com

Nashville Thanks this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yea I've seen those but still a quite pricy option.

I've found this option here,

https://www.cabbacks.com/product-page/ford-42-cab-back

That is big enough to be a legal sleeper and is more room than a normal crew cab truck. Not sure if I'd go that way but it's a solid option.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That looks real good and more reasonably priced.

8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yea, I also have a fiberglass high top that I could cut down to fit a short set up like that would would make a pretty cool set up.

This is one set up as a hauler with that cabback

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    QuietStorm and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    No such thing as bulletproof when there's only 10 head bolts per side and they are too thin and stretch.
    See above. 2003 and earlier with the 7.3 would be safer. 18 head bolts per side and much thicker and stronger. No blown head gaskets.

10. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    7.3 was the best period. Good luck finding one though.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I've done a lot of research on 6.0s and I currently have a 1 ton van with a 6.0 . after 2005 the 6 0 was a pretty decent engine out of the box and head issues are not that common if you are not hot rodding them. Sure they can blow a head gasket, but in all honesty so does the duramax and hell even the Cummins

The problem with 7.3 trucks is they eat transmissions , they use the older front suspension so are much rougher ride and the wiring harness & electronics are starting to become a problem to source.

A 2010 is going to have all the nice modern updates like full disc brakes anti lock, I can still work on it and it's not a 20 year old truck. You cant look at just the engine you have to find the best package overall IMO.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.