Converted e450 for hotshotting?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Apr 23, 2019.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That's par for the course when you have a good strong engine that never breaks down. There's people that can build you a transmission to handle almost any amount of power you put into it. It's easier to beef up a transmission than to fix a design flaw like 10 head bolts divided by 4 cylinders.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Well I called about the van I was looking at a few days ago. It sounded good so I planned to make the drive this weekend to go see it but it disappeared from Craigslist the day after I called....

That's only drawback about calling for info on something you see on CL, you remind them about the ad so they refresh it then someone else sees it and gets there faster..

4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I have 7.3 , the transmission went out at 362,000. I was on the road and had it rebuilt at a father and son shop. Total cost $2800 I now have 718,000 miles on the truck.

5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, I'm not aginst a 7.3 but if I did one it would probably be the 6 speed manual. My biggest concern with the 7.3 is the trucks are all 20+ years old now and it becomes harder and harder to find replacement parts.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Agree 100%. They are out there. I have seen some that have less miles on them than when I started running mine as a hotshot. Knowing what I know now, Would I start with a used truck. YES, reason being the failure for hotshot is higher than the used truck IMHO. Now if you have some way of obtaining freight other than relying on the load board. Now if you were leased with a company that has their own freight and uses the load board to get back on or you was running your own numbers and hire a dispatch service that has been in business awhile and has brokers using them on a daily basis then I recommend a new truck. All that being said how you fill up your truck will have a greater impact on your situation than anything else.

7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I assume being it's a 7.3 you have the twin i beam front suspension. How is that far as ride and is it giving you problems? I was never a Ford guy back when these trucks were more common so I don't know a lot about them. I did have a older 86 1 ton Ford with a 6.9 years ago I used local for a lawn business I had when I was in my 20's but I never really did much to the truck but drive it local.

Is there any issues as far as the ibeam front ends go? I thought everyone used to ##### about those.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I guess I am ignorant about the twin IBeam issues. Or I am very lucky no issues on mine.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't know if there were actual issues or not, I just remember people used to ##### about them. I don't recall why.

10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I have one sitting on my yard

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  11. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    The little I know is in the mid 90's a 4wd f350 had a solid front axle and the f250 had the twin I beam. In the 4wd models this was supposedly a weaker setup and disliked because of that.

The 2wd f250 & f350 pickups (not sure of E series) kept the twin I beam till '06 or '07 maybe..? I've only seen this second hand as I've never owned a Ford product, but I've seen the front tires cup from the camber constantly changing as the truck bounces up & down the interstate at high speed. So you may experience cupping of the steers, but that doesn't mean the front end itself is falling apart..

crocky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.