Conway bought out by XPO

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Apd, Sep 9, 2015.

1. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    We don't know kristy. I would say the drivers are the most safe. The first place they will look at will be at XGO. Not one driver wants to see anyone loose their job at GO, but it's going to be the first place they look at. They already have their own systems in place.

They will look at lanes and empty miles next. The next easiest place to cut waste and save money.

Honestly, I see a lot more freight in our future. This guy knows that online ordering is the future. Brick and mortar stores are dying. He now has a full North American distribution network in place to handle increased online shipments.

whip and jakebrake12 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    Are you a Canadian Freight driver?

4. upnorthwpg

Sep 23, 2011
    Yes.

5. carb

carb Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Its only 6%. That is very low in this industry

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Your right I didn't read the article I found correctly... It was Truckload... It said freight was at 9%

The CWF Terminal I worked at in Chicago area was way above that, I believe it's due to the fact of so many short runs... Basically the short time I worked there I was a dock worker with a small percentage of the time was driving

7. whip

whip Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2012
    North East Ohio
    Lot's of speculation, and most of it is negative. It's possible things will stay the same for drivers, Heck, things could get better. The biggest challenge for trucking companies is hiring and retaining good drivers. XPO, being in logistics, knows this. Slashing pay, benefits, and jobs doesn't help retain drivers. At my terminal, they struggle to hire good drivers with a top rate over $25.00. Would paying drivers $17.00 make it easier? XPO has about 30,000 customers. The majority have inquired about LTL options. If half of those customers use Con-way/XPO, that's a huge bump in revenue. A huge bump in revenue could mean raises for the drivers. The benefits offered by XPO might be an improvement. Cheaper/better medical, better company match on the 401K, etc.

Many have compared this to the merger of Roadway and Yellow/ It's nothing like it. When those two merged, all the terminals, trucks, drivers, and managers became redundant. It was two companies doing the same job, and a lot of fat had to be trimmed. Terminals closed, managers let go, etc. This acquisition is to expand XPO's business. Firing drivers won't help that goal. If they just wanted some trucks and terminals, they could have bought ABF for half the money, blown it up, and started over. XPO bought Con-Way because we're good at what we do. Why change that?

Will there be changes? Yes. Some might be better, some might be worse. At the end of the day, I don't think this is going to impact the drivers in a negative way.

bruceb, Big Don, upnorthwpg and 2 others Thank this.
  8. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    The wisest words I have heard on this board this far...seems to go along with what my service manager and high senior coworkers are speculating. We all know there are no guarantees in life, but using some common sense will keep the bad rumors at bay...and perhaps soothe the nerves of the doomsayers. ;)

truckerswife328 and whip Thank this.
  9. Winbot

Winbot Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    As far as pay for drivers goes I think it mostly depends on the location those drivers are working out of. In a more competitive market that has a high demand for LTL drivers they will only be able to cut pay so much because those drivers can likely easilly find another job. If conway is the only gig in town though those drivers may see cut backs. Like others have said the drivers probably dont have very much to worry about and that the people in trouble are those who are being made redundant by this deal, as a driver as long as there is a truck for you to drive and freight for your trailer you are not redundant.

10. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    The raise the drivers received last year is to help make the pay consistent throughout the company(freight mainly) but there is still discrepancies. Every Con-way Freight driver who has not made top pay was suppose to be at maximum top-pay at their 3 year anniversary date. Who knows really whether it'll change or not.

11. upnorthwpg

Sep 23, 2011
    I would disagree. The raise was given to quell the union push in the south. It was gaining traction, they threw us a bone to tamp it down. They even said as much in the video.

snowlauncher and L.B. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.