Cooking as otr driver

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Jamestuc80, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Put it on the floor and don't drive like an idiot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Haha.

4. BennysPennys

BennysPennys Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2021
  5. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Seriously.....if you like the crockpot idea... get an instant pot. Locking lid.... bottom heavy... use the slow cook option. Set it on the floor. Good to go. I wouldn't use the standard crock pot with the glass lid. One Amazon Driver pulls in front of you and your truck smells like Roast beef and carrots for eternity. Plus.... You will be eating roast beef laced with diesel fuel and dirt for 3 days! :eek:

6. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Hey.... some of us have dealt with a short bungee cord all of our lives.... We just had to learn how to use it properly! I also helps if the girls you date can't read a tape measure. o_O

7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Instant Pot is way better I believe. You don’t have to worry about the SC spilling while driving and the other reason I’m not a SC fan is I don’t like smelling the food all day while driving. By the time I’d stop and it would be done I would not want to eat it. That and the sheer amount of things an Instant Pot can do is insane.

8. DieselRitter

DieselRitter Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2022
    rice cooker is far superior to crock pot in my experience

9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

This here is a good idea. I get mine at Sam's Club but, their also larger steam/grill aluminum pans.

I like to use them for grilling and other cooking.
    [​IMG]
    Used to be about 8.50 for the stack. Think now their up to 12 or 13. Curse you supply chain shortage! ;)

They also have smaller ones for truck fridges, and the like. Also with lids, like 11-12 bucks for 36 of them.

I also agree with the others...Forman Grill, Instant Pot/Crock Pot, a good electric skillet, and because I love to grill...a small fold up grill or something similar. You can do some great, and even healthy cooking with all the above.

To make clean up easier, I suggest the following..
    Blue Dawn, Sponges, Steel Wool, and a little tote to keep your cleaning gear in. An remember steel wool will take the coating off a Foreman, Instant Pot/Rice Cooker, and a electric skillet. So why the wool? For cleaning your knives and silverware. I also like to keep a box of food grade gloves. Your hands get filthy during the course of a day, or when your handling raw meat for a meal. Great for cleaning time to. Whether your food gear or the truck or whatever.

I know I know...all of you reading this are like "Duh, we know this! Shouldn't you be posting tacos instead of cooking and washing dishes advice?" , it's for the folks who don't know, and there's a lot of them out there. ;)

Ton of recipe's out there to for when cooking on the road. I prefer to prep before I leave home, but that's just me.

My last bit of advice....get some good cooking knives. A Chef knife, and a paring knife at lest. You can get a cheap and decent one at Walmart for less then 15 bucks. Grab a sharpener to if your going to be cutting a lot of veggies/fruit. Tomato's and Onions will dull a knife real quick. Having the basic tools will make the cooking go much easier and far less frustrating. My set of knives cost me a whopping 20 bucks I think. I use the hell out of them though.

Anyhow...Good luck, and the food you'll cook will most likely be way better than anything you can buy at a truck stop. I say most likely cause I've met some folks who could manage to burn water.

Back to tacos and jokes now.

[​IMG]

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

Notimeforsleep, InTooDeep and Numb Thank this.
  10. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I cooked
    “Rose peppercorn encrusted filet mignon stuffed with king crab, served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes, Stilton cheese and a chambord reduction Demi glacé sauce. All cooked on the truck. Yeah I eat good out here. No roller dogs for me.

yesterday I had pan seared scallops over a three olive capper purée in.a goat cheese sundried tomato stalk served over linguini.

11. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    1800 watt will limit things a bit.

Microwave and slow cooker will be the easiest to use. You might be able to get an electric skillet work by very slowly turning up the temp until it gets to your desired temperature, unless you can find one under 1500 watts.

If you want to invest the money, you can get a portable chest fridge/freezer that can work off the inverter or a 12volt cigarette outlet. Raw meats don't last long in a fridge, best to freeze them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.